Ryan in 2014
Born: April 21, 1971|
Reid Ryan (born April 21, 1971) is an American baseball executive and former college baseball and professional baseball player. Ryan was a pitcher in minor league baseball, and currently serves as the CEO of Ryan-Sanders Baseball Inc., which owns the Round Rock Express and Corpus Christi Hooks. He was introduced as the president of the Houston Astros on May 17, 2013.
Ryan attended the University of Texas at Austin, beginning his college baseball career with the Texas Longhorns. He transferred to Texas Christian University (TCU) finished his collegiate career for the TCU Horned Frogs. The Texas Rangers, his father's team at the time, selected Ryan in the 17th round (477th overall) of the 1994 Major League Baseball draft. He pitched for the Class A Short Season Hudson Valley Renegades in 1994, putting together a 5-5 record with a 2.89 earned run average (ERA) and 1.30 walks plus hits per inning pitched (WHIP) in 84 innings. Ryan split 1995 between the Class A Charleston RiverDogs and Class A Advanced Visalia Oaks, combining for an 0-10 record with a 9.34 ERA and 2.29 WHIP.
Along with his father, Nolan Ryan, his brother, Reese, and former Houston Astros part-owner Don Sanders, he is the CEO and President of Ryan-Sanders Baseball, Inc., a group which owns the Round Rock Express of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League and the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League. He also serves on the board of trustees for Major League Baseball.
Ryan and his wife, Nicole, have three children. Their son has cerebral palsy.
- "Nolan Ryan's Oldest Son Named Astros President". WBBM-TV. May 18, 2013. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- McTaggart, Brian (May 16, 2013). "Source: Reid Ryan to be named president of Astros". MLB.com. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "A Chip Off the Glorious Ryan Arm". The New York Times. July 11, 1994. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- "Ryan's son on his own as minor-league rookie". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Hood, Jeff. "Newest Port takes his cuts at pro ball". The Record. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- "Reid Ryan to take over Astros". ESPN. May 16, 2013. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- de Jesus Ortiz, Jose (June 15, 2013). "Nolan Ryan's grandson has a unique path to family business". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved November 4, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Biography at the Round Rock Express Website