Raad (air defense system)
|Raad air defence system|
|Type||Air defense system|
|Place of origin||Iran|
|Used by||IRGC AF|
|Designer||IRGC aerospace force|
|3x Taer-2 surface to air missiles|
|Engine||Solid Fuel Rocket|
Raad or Ra'd (Persian: رعد, meaning "thunder") is an Iranian aerial defence system deployed in September 2012. The system is designed to enhance Iran's capabilities in terms of defense, and as a partner to Bavar 373 air defense system. According to Fars news agency the Raad, is more advanced than its Russian predecessor and is designed to confront fighter jets, cruise missiles, smart bombs, helicopters and drones. the system is also designed specially for US fighters. The system is equipped with "Taer" (Bird) missiles, which can trace and hit targets in ranges up to 50 km and in altitudes from 25 to 27 km (75,000 feet), Ra'd is ranked as a mid-range radar system and air defense system.
During Velayat 91 maneuvers in December 2012 Iranian navy successfully tested Raad Air Defense System but it is not clear that the Raad missile tested in Iranian navy is the same one to Taer-2 missile of Raad system designed by IRGC aerospace force and it may be only a similarity between a surface to air missile and an air defense system.
On May 2014 IRGC unveiled four different configuration of Raad air defense system, 3rd Khordad TELAR which is equipped with Taer-2B missiles, a phased array radar and is able to control two TELs, Tabas TELAR which features a white dome radar and uses Taer-2A missiles, Alam al hoda TEL which is equipped with electro-optical tracking systems, another system was also seen named Raad-2 which has a new wheeled TEL and uses electro-optical systems on separate vehicles with a range of 80 km.
In IRGC aerospace force exhibition in May 2014 announced that new versions of 3rd Khordad SAM system will reach to ranges about 100 and 200 km with new missiles. The 3rd Khordad (3rd of Khordad) system can engage with 4 targets and guide 2 missile to each of them simultaneously with the aid of its phased array radar that has 1700 elements.
- Bavar 373
- Ya Zahra
- Equipment of the Iranian Army
- List of military equipment manufactured in Iran
- Military of Iran
- "مقابله سامانه رعد با هواپیماهای آمریکایی". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "3 خبر دفاعی، 4 تحلیل سیاسی و 5 نکته امنیتی از زبان سرلشکر جعفری". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "نه شرقی نه غربی؛ فقط "رعد ایرانی" + تصاویر". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "Latest version of Raad missile successfully test-fired". English.irib.ir. 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "اسکویی در باره ایران: Iran Tests Ra'ad Air Defense System During Naval Drills". Uskowi on Iran. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- ""علم الهدی" ناشناختهترین سامانه شکار جنگندههای رادارگریز +عکس". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- War Is Boring. "Iran's Response to Saudi War Game—Show Off All the Weapons — War Is Boring". medium.com. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "آشنایی با 3 سامانه پدافندی که ایران به جای اس 300 رونمایی کرد +عکس". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "40 types of Iranian Radars". Mashregh News Agancy.
- "40 نوع رادار ایرانی؛ چشمان همیشه بیدار نیروهای مسلح +عکس". mashreghnews.ir. Retrieved 2016-07-24.