Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal
|Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal|
|Awarded by the Monarch of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth realms|
|Awarded for||community contribution|
|Established||2 June 1953|
|Order of wear|
|Next (higher)||Dependent on state|
|Equivalent||Dependent on state|
|Next (lower)||Dependent on state|
Silver Jubilee Medal, |
Golden Jubilee Medal,
Diamond Jubilee Medal
The Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal is a commemorative medal which was instituted to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
For Coronation and Jubilee medals, the practice up until 1977 was that the authorities in the United Kingdom decided on a total number to be produced, then allocated a proportion to each of the Commonwealth countries and Crown dependencies and other possessions of the Crown. The award of the medals was then at the discretion of the government of each territory, which was left free to decide who was to be awarded a medal and why.
A total of 138,214 medals were awarded, including:
The Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal is a silver disk, 1.25 inches in diameter. The obverse features a crowned effigy of Queen Elizabeth II, facing right, in a high-collared ermine cloak and wearing the collar of the Garter and Badge of the Bath. There is no raised rim and no legend.
The dark red ribbon is 1.25 inches (32 mm) wide, with 5⁄64 inch (2 mm) wide white edges and two narrow dark blue stripes in the centre, each 5⁄64 inch (2 mm) wide and 1⁄16 inch (1.6 mm) apart.
Ladies who were awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal, can wear it on their left shoulder with the ribbon tied in the form of a bow, as depicted.
The medals were issued without inscription, except for the 37 issued to the British Mount Everest Expedition. These were engraved "MOUNT EVEREST EXPEDITION" on the rim.
Precedence by country
Some orders of precedence are as follows:
- Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal
- Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- New Zealand Defence Force - British Commonwealth Jubilee And Coronation Medals - The Coronation Medal 1953 Archived 23 April 2007 at the Wayback Machine. (Accessed 5 May 2015)
- Veterans Affairs Canada - Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal (1953) (Accessed 5 May 2015)
- "Cecil Walter Thomas OBE, FRBS". Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland–1951. University of Glasgow. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- "The Order of Wearing Australian Honours and Awards" (PDF). Government House. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Order of Wear: Orders, Decorations and Medals in New Zealand". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Republic of South Africa Government Gazette Vol. 477, no. 27376, Pretoria, 11 March 2005, OCLC 72827981
- The London Gazette: . 17 March 2003.