President of Serbia
|President of the Republic of Serbia
Председник Републике Србијe
Predsednik Republike Srbije
Standard of the President
|Seat||Novi dvor (Belgrade)|
|Inaugural holder||Slobodan Milošević|
|Formation||11 January 1991|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Duties and competences
Largely a ceremonial position, the duties and competences of the President as stipulated in chapter 5, article 112 of the Constitution:
- Represent Serbia at home and abroad,
- Propose laws upon his/her decree, in accordance with the Constitution,
- Propose an individual for the position of Prime Minister to Parliament,
- Propose to the National Assembly holders of positions, in accordance with the Constitution
- Appoint and dismiss, upon his/her decree, ambassadors of Serbia, upon the proposal of the Government,
- Receive letters of credit and revocable letters of credit of foreign diplomatic representatives,
- Grant amnesties and award honours,
- Administer other affairs stipulated by the Constitution.
Oath of office
While assuming the office, the President of the Republic shall take the following oath before the National Assembly:
I do solemnly swear that I will devote all my efforts to preserve the sovereignty and integrity of the territory of the Republic of Serbia, including Kosovo and Metohija as its constituent part, as well as to provide exercise of human and minority rights and freedoms, respect and protection of the Constitution and laws, preservation of peace and welfare of all citizens of the Republic of Serbia and perform all my duties conscientiously and responsibly.
Term of office of the President of the Republic of Serbia
The term of office of the President of the Republic shall last five years and begin from the day of taking of the oath before the National Assembly.
If the term of office of the President of the Republic expires during the state of war or emergency, it shall be extended so that it lasts until the expiry of three months from the day of the end of the state of war, that is, of emergency.
No one shall be elected to a position of the President of the Republic more than twice.
The term of office of the President of the Republic shall end with expiry of the period of time for which he or she has been elected, by his/her resignation or released of duty.The President of the Republic shall tender his/her resignation to the Chairman of the National Assembly.
Advisers to the President carry out the analytical, advisory and other corresponding tasks for the needs of the President of the Republic as well as other expert tasks in relations of the President with the Government and the Parliament.
Last presidential elections
List of Presidents
Living former Presidents
|Name||Term||Date of birth|
|Milan Milutinović||1997–2002||December 19, 1942|
|Boris Tadić||2004–2012||January 15, 1958|
- Honour Guard in front of the Presidential Palace
- Official presidential welcome ceremony
- Official Standard of the President of Serbia