Port Authority of Thailand
The Port Authority of Thailand (PAT) (Thai: การท่าเรือแห่งประเทศไทย; rtgs: kan tha ruea haeng prathet thai) is a state corporation of Thailand, responsible for the regulation and governance of the ports of Thailand, primarily the ports of Laem Chabang and Bangkok Port, the country's two largest. PAT operates Thai ports in conjunction with public companies including Hutchison Ports Thailand and PSA International.
The PAT was founded by the Port Authority of Thailand Act 1951 as an autonomous government agency under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications. In 1961 construction was begun on the port of Laem Chabang, due to overcrowding at Bangkok Port. By 1997 Laem Chabang had become the country's busiest seaport. In 2000 the Port Authority of Thailand was converted from a government agency to a state corporation by amendment to the Port Authority of Thailand Act 1951.
Laem Chabang Port
Laem Chabang is in eastern Thailand, on the Gulf of Thailand, and is the country's main deep sea port. It consists of several separate ports, and occupies 2,572 acres (10.41 km2).
Bangkok Port had 3,067 vessel calls in FY2016, down 5.5 percent from FY2015. Cargo tonnage was 21 million, down 3.7 percent. Cargo volume totalled 1.5 million TEUs, down 3.4 percent. Full container loads (FCL) decreased to 82 percent, less container loads (LCL) accounted for 15 percent, and 2.7 percent of containers handled were empty. PAT attributes this to the sluggish worldwide economy.
Chiang Saen Port
Chiang Saen is on the Mekong River across from Laos in Chiang Rai Province in north Thailand. Its role as a trade connection with Myanmar, Laos, and the southern provinces of China is expanding and new facilities are being planned 10 km away at the Mae Nam Kok estuary of the Mekong River.
Chiang Khong Port
Ranong is on the Kraburi River of the Kra Peninsula, across from Myanmar and near the Indian Ocean coast. Approved in 2003 as a PAT port, expansion is planned to serve the West Indian Ocean and Andaman Sea areas.
- Government of Thailand
- Transport in Thailand
- Port authority
- Port operator
- Port Authority of Thailand FC
- "History". Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- PAT, Development of Domestic Coastal Berth and Transit Shed Archived June 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Annual Report 2014 (PDF). Bangkok: Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "PAT Performance in fiscal year 2016". Bangkok Post. Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). 2016-11-15. p. 3.
- "Information". Laemchabangport. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "About BKP". Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "About Chiang Saen Port". Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "About Chiang Khong". Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "About Ranong Port". Port Authority of Thailand (PAT). Retrieved 15 November 2016.