|Traded as||LSE: PTEC|
|Headquarters||Douglas, Isle of Man|
Alan Jackson, (Chairman)|
Mor Weizer, (CEO)
|Products||Online gaming and casinos software and associated services|
|Revenue||€ 630.1 million (2015)|
|€ 212.1 million (2015)|
|€ 136.3 million (2015)|
Playtech plc is a gambling software development company founded in 1999. The company provides software for online casinos, online poker rooms, online bingo games, online sports betting, scratch games, mobile gaming, live dealer games and fixed-odds arcade games online. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Playtech was founded in 1999 by Teddy Sagi in Tartu, Estonia, with partners from the casino, software engineering and multimedia industries. Playtech launched its first casino product in 2001, and since then it has grown to become the world’s leading and largest international designer, developer and licensor of web and mobile application software to the digital gaming industry, whose customers are most of the blue chip companies in this industry (William Hill, Ladbrokes, Bet365 in the UK, Snai and Sisal in Italy, etc.), as well as governments and regulated agencies.; In March 2006, Playtech was floated successfully on the AIM market at a valuation of approximately US$ 950 million (approximately £550 million).
After the passage of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, the company's stock suffered a one-day fall of over 40%.
On 22 October 2008, Playtech announced that it would acquire private assets from Teddy Sagi in return for $250 million. Then in March 2011, Playtech bought PT Turnkey Services from Teddy Sagi for £125m.
In July 2012, Playtech moved its listing to the Main Market of the LSE from AIM. In the September rebalance, Playtech was included within the FTSE 250 Index.
In August 2014, Playtech joined the Gambling Business Group, a trade organization formed to represent the interests of the UK gaming community, to support and advise the GBG issues and industry.
In September 2014, Playtech announced the acquisition of Aristocrat Lotteries from Aristocrat Leisure Limited, in a EUR €10.5 million deal.
In May 2016 Playtech has acquired Swedish online game developer Quickspin. The first payment of €24m will represent 100% of the shares of Quickspin on a cash free debt free basis with the remaining €26m to be paid on an earn-out basis depending on Quickspin's EBITDA over the course of 2017 and 2018.
In July 2016 Gambling software group Playtech has acquired rival operator Best Gaming Technology (BGT) for €138m, as betting groups continue to react to the wave of consolidation that has swept through the industry.
Playtech, along with its licensees, created a new Live Dealer Roulette product in HTML5 format to replace its existing game. Following a year of testing, the November 2016 unveiling generated a high demand for the product within 48 of its launch, according to Kevin Kilminster,head of innovation for Playtech’s live dealer division.
Playtech employs more than 5,000 people (February 2016) in 13 countries and territories: Isle of Man where the headquarters are located, The UK, Israel, Bulgaria, Estonia, Ukraine, Philippines, Sweden, Germany, Gibraltar, Latvia, Cyprus and Russia.
iPoker is Playtech's poker platform. It was implemented in the UK by casino game designer Geoff Hall, inventor of Blackjack Switch and currently has more than 60 members of staff.
The network works using a skin-based system. This simply means that each site on the network has its own skin of the underlying poker interface; the lobby, table layout and design are all exactly the same. However, each site can apply its own colour scheme and branding. Most importantly in order to maintain the liquidity needed to operate a successful poker network, each of these skins shares the same player pool. As of April 2014 the network had 30 active skins.
- "Full Year Results 2015". investis.com. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Euro Partners Adds Scratch Games to its Growing Range of Online Gaming Verticals Online Gambling News, 1 January 2010
- "2013 Annual Report and Accounts" (PDF). Playtech. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Playtech plans to raise £175m in IPO FT.com, 17 February 2006
- Playtech’s Power Play Poker Update, 18 August 2011
- Playtech game plan questioned The Telegraph, 14 April 2011
- PokerStrategy.com becomes a Playtech company PokerStrategy.com, 11 July 2013
- "Playtech Announces Aristocrat Lotteries Acquisition". latestbingobonuses.com. 3 September 2014.
- "Playtech-Powered Casinos Exiting German Online Gambling Market". casino.org. 28 January 2015.
- "YoYo Games sells to PlayTech for $16.4 million".
- Aashika Jain (1 June 2015). "Playtech to buy online forex trader Plus500". Reuters. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Playtech says deals for Plus500, Ava Trade terminated". Reuters. 23 November 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Playtech Acquires Quickspin". latestcasinobonuses.com. 26 May 2016.
- "Playtech acquires rival Best Gaming Technology". ft.com. 13 July 2016.
- "Playtech has created a new Live Dealer Roulette product". playtech.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- Playtech, official site. Accessed 19-8-2014.
- ThePOGG (27 November 2012). "ThePOGG Interviews – Geoff Hall – The creator of Blackjack Switch".
- "iPokerSkins - A full list of iPoker network skins".