The Piccolomini Altarpiece is an architectural and sculptural altarpiece in the left-nave of Siena Cathedral, commissioned by cardinal Francesco Todeschini Piccolomini. It was built between 1481 and 1485 by Andrea Bregno in Carrara marble, with additions in the following decades – these included four niche sculptures produced between 1501 and 1504 by Michelangelo of saints Peter, Augustine (later resculpted as Saint Pius), Paul and Gregory.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Altare Piccolomini.|
- (Italian) Francesco Caglioti, in Le sculture del duomo di Siena, Silvana Editoriale, Milano, 2009, pp. 174–181.
- (Italian) Umberto Baldini, Michelangelo scultore, Rizzoli, Milano, 1973.
- (Italian) Toscana. Guida d'Italia (Guida rossa), Touring Club Italiano, Milano, 2003.