Petersburg Courthouse, July 2006
|Location||Court House Sq., Petersburg, Virginia|
|Coordinates||37°13′50″N 77°24′12″W / 37.23056°N 77.40333°WCoordinates: 37°13′50″N 77°24′12″W / 37.23056°N 77.40333°W|
|Area||9 acres (3.6 ha)|
|Architectural style||Mid 19th Century Revival, Classical Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||73002218|
|Added to NRHP||May 14, 1973|
|Designated VLR||April 17, 1973|
Petersburg Courthouse is a historic courthouse building located at Petersburg, Virginia. It was designed by New York architect Calvin Pollard and built between 1838 and 1840. It is a two-story, Classical Revival style brick building. It rests on a granite foundation and measures 57 feet wide and 93 feet deep. It features a pedimented hexastyle front portico and a double-tiered bell and clock tower modeled after the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens. Major work was performed on the structure until 1877 when extensive repairs and interior alterations were carried out. A 30-foot addition was constructed in 1965. During the Siege of Petersburg, Union troops used the tower for a sighting mark and spared the structure from the bombardment.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Staff (December 1972). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Petersburg Courthouse" (PDF). Virginia Department of Historic Resources. and Accompanying photo
- Media related to Petersburg Courthouse (Virginia) at Wikimedia Commons
- Hustings Courthouse, Courthouse Avenue & North Sycamore Street, Petersburg, Petersburg, VA: 6 photos and 13 data pages at Historic American Buildings Survey