Lynch with the Denver Broncos in 2016
|No. 12 Denver Broncos|
|Date of birth:||February 12, 1994|
|Place of birth:||San Antonio, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||244 lb (111 kg)|
|High school:||Deltona (FL) Trinity Christian|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 1 / Pick: 26|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2016|
Paxton James Lynch (born February 12, 1994) is an American football quarterback for the Denver Broncos of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Memphis, and was drafted in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Broncos.
Lynch attended Trinity Christian Academy in Deltona, Florida. During his career he passed for 2,099 yards. Lynch was rated by Rivals.com as a three-star recruit. He committed to the University of Memphis to play college football.
After redshirting his first year at Memphis in 2012, Lynch was named the Tigers' starting quarterback prior to the 2013 season. He started all 12 games, completing 203 of 349 passes for 2,056 yards, nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions. As a sophomore in 2014, Lynch started all 13 games. He completed 259 of 413 attempts for 3,031 yards, 22 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He also rushed for 321 yards and 13 touchdowns. Lynch was named the MVP of the 2014 Miami Beach Bowl after passing for 306 yards with four passing touchdowns and three rushing touchdowns. As a junior in 2015, Lynch again started all 13 games. He completed 296 of 443 passes for 3,778 yards, 28 touchdowns and four interceptions. In Memphis' 63–0 victory over SMU, Lynch tied an FBS record with seven passing touchdowns in a half. He finished 9 of 14 for 222 yards, and completed his touchdown throws to seven different receivers. After the season, he decided to forgo his senior year and enter the 2016 NFL Draft. Lynch graduated from Memphis in May 2016 with a B.S.E. in sport and leisure management.
Lynch was predicted to be selected in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft by draft analysts and in mock drafts prior to the draft. He was rated the third best quarterback in the 2016 draft by NFLDraftScout.com.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 7 in||244 lb||4.86 s||1.69 s||2.81 s||4.26 s||7.14 s||36 in||9 ft 10 in||18|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Lynch was selected in the first round (26th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos on April 28, 2016. The Broncos were able to select Lynch by moving up five spots in the draft through a trade with the Seattle Seahawks that gave them Denver's first round pick and a third round pick. On June 9, 2016, the Broncos signed Lynch to a rookie contract.
On October 2, 2016, Lynch played in his first NFL regular season game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, taking over for the injured Trevor Siemian. He finished with 170 passing yards on 14-of-24 and threw his first career touchdown pass to Emmanuel Sanders, as the Broncos would go on to win 27-7. In Week 5, Lynch started his first NFL game due to the injury to Siemian and completed 23-of-35 passes for 223 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the 23-16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.
On December 2, Lynch was once again named the starter against the Jacksonville Jaguars, due to a foot sprain to Siemian. Paxton Lynch lead the Denver Broncos to a 20-10 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Lynch posted 12 completions on 24 passing attempts for 104 yards, with 0 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.
- "Bachelor of science in education" (PDF). Spring Convocation of the One-Hundred and Fourth Commencement. University of Memphis. May 7, 2016. p. 67.
- "Paxton Lynch".
- "Paxton Lynch's recruiting road had some detours before he got to Memphis". tribunedigital-orlandosentinel.
- "Lynch commits to Memphis". News-JournalOnline.com.
- "Memphis freshman Paxton Lynch QB preps for starting role".
- "Memphis Tigers coach Justin Fuente names Paxton Lynch starting QB".
- "After big sophomore season, Memphis' Paxton Lynch looking to live up to hype". News-JournalOnline.com.
- "Tigers continue to build behind QB Paxton Lynch". Oxford Citizen.
- South Florida Sun-Sentinel (December 22, 2014). "Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl, overshadowing Memphis double overtime win against BYU – Sun Sentinel". Sun-Sentinel.com.
- "Paxton Lynch ties FBS record with seven TD passes in a half".
- "Highly rated Memphis Tigers QB Paxton Lynch declares for NFL draft". ESPN.com.
- "Paxton Lynch". sports-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Paxton Lynch". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Legwold, Jeff. "Lynch drafted by Broncos in first round of 2016 NFL Draft.". ESPN. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- Klis, Mike (October 9, 2016). "Falcons rattle Paxton Lynch, gash Broncos for win". usatoday.com. Retrieved October 10, 2016.