On the maps edited around the beginning of the nineteenth century it was called Sauwiesen (Pig-meadow) and also as Schmalzbergel (Fat-hill). (In city people spoke German as well, it was the countryside that preserved the Hungarian language). On earlier army maps simply as Ried (meadow). The Serbs (rácok) living under the castle-district also called this place pasa (meadow in Serbian: paša. Serbian Cyrillic: паша). In 1847 Gábor Döbrentei connected the Serbian name with the Hungarian word for meadow (rét) to form the present name of this part of Buda.
The first vehicle of the Budapest Cog-wheel Railway ran from 4 p.m. on June 24, 1874, and regular traffic began on the following day.
The clay-mines which made possible to build up the road in Pasarét in the 1880s were on the place of the now Vasas Sporttelep (Sport Stadion).
The huge Ludovika Engineer Academy was built up in 1895 vis-á-vis the than woody excursionspot with famous restaurant-gardens "Szép Ilona". After creating an association for settling down became the Pasarét the villa-quartier in the beginning of the twentieth century and the area has been fully built-up between the two world wars. Great artists and scientists settled here, among others Béla Bartók (composer), Ernö Dohnányi (composer), Imre Nagy (politician), István Örkény (writer), and Antal Szerb (writer).
Bauhaus in Budapest
In the 1930s several houses and a whole street were built in Bauhaus style. Its bus-station and church built in 1933-34 are one of its most momentous building-composition.
- http://www.vendegvaro.hu/6-3208 (a source)