Park Township, Ottawa County, Michigan
|Park Township, Michigan|
Park Township, Michigan
Location within the state of Michigan
|Coordinates: 42°47′54″N 86°10′47″W / 42.79833°N 86.17972°WCoordinates: 42°47′54″N 86°10′47″W / 42.79833°N 86.17972°W|
|• Total||21.3 sq mi (55.2 km2)|
|• Land||19.3 sq mi (49.9 km2)|
|• Water||2.0 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|Elevation||610 ft (186 m)|
|• Density||835.8/sq mi (322.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626882|
- Macatawa is a small unincorporated community near Lake Michigan on Lake Macatawa that once was home to resorts catering to visitors from Chicago. Nearly all of these resorts were destroyed in several fires. It is now home to cottages only. The community is on the boundary between Laketown township in Allegan County and Park Township in Ottawa County, however it is on the south side of Lake Macatawa separated from most of Park Township at 42°46′11″N 86°12′22″W / 42.76972°N 86.20611°W.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 21.3 square miles (55 km2), of which 19.3 square miles (50 km2) is land and 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2) (9.62%) is water. The southernmost part of the township is completely separated from the rest by Lake Macatawa.
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,579 people, 6,113 households, and 4,951 families residing in the township. The population density was 912.0 per square mile (352.0/km²). There were 6,926 housing units at an average density of 359.3 per square mile (138.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 93.55% White, 0.45% African American, 0.18% Native American, 2.14% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 2.18% from other races, and 1.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.46% of the population.
There were 6,113 households out of which 41.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.2% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.0% were non-families. 15.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.87 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.9% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 7.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 100.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $65,328, and the median income for a family was $72,647. Males had a median income of $51,124 versus $31,486 for females. The per capita income for the township was $28,777. About 1.4% of families and 2.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 0.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Park Township, Ottawa County, Michigan
- American Factfinder, Park township, Ottawa County, Michigan, 2006 Population Estimates
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Macatawa, Michigan
- 1912 Ottawa County Atlas.
- Park Township website