Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Coordinates: 48°42′52″N 2°14′45″E / 48.7145°N 2.2457°ECoordinates: 48°42′52″N 2°14′45″E / 48.7145°N 2.2457°E|
|Intercommunality||Communauté d'agglomération du Plateau de Saclay|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||François Lamy|
|Area1||11.51 km2 (4.44 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,700/km2 (6,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||91477 / 91120|
|Elevation||47–159 m (154–522 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Palaiseau (French pronunciation: [palɛzo]) is a commune in the southern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 16.9 km (10.5 mi) from the center of Paris. Palaiseau is a sub-prefecture of the Essonne department and the seat of the Arrondissement of Palaiseau.
Inhabitants of Palaiseau are known as Palaisiens.
- Junior high schools: Collège César-Franck, Collège Charles-Péguy, Collège Joseph-Bara
- Senior high schools: Lycée professionnel Henri-Poincaré, Lycée Camille-Claudel
Colleges and universities
ParisTech has a strong presence in Palaiseau, with three member institutes: the École Polytechnique (one of the most prestigious engineering schools in France), École nationale supérieure de techniques avancées, and Institut d'optique Graduate School which are now located in Palaiseau, on the Plateau de Saclay.
Palaiseau is served by 3 stations on Paris RER line B: Palaiseau, Palaiseau – Villebon and Lozère (this last station is the closest to École Polytechnique). The station Massy-Palaiseau (RER B, RER C and also TGV, the French high-speed rail) is located in the nearby town of Massy.
Palaiseau is twinned with:
- "Les établissements scolaires maternels et élémentaires." Palaiseau. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- "Au collège et au lycée." Palaiseau. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- "List of Twin Towns in the Ruhr District" (PDF). © 2009 Twins2010.com. Retrieved 2009-10-28. External link in
- Media related to Palaiseau at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (French)
- Mérimée database - Cultural heritage (French)
- Land use (IAURIF) (English)