Palais de Rumine
On his death, Gabriel de Rumine, son of Russian nobility, left the city of Lausanne 1.5 million Swiss Francs to erect a building for the use of the public.
It housed facilities such as the library of the University of Lausanne, and scientific and artistic collections belonging to the Canton of Vaud. In the 1980s, the university moved to its current location by Lake Geneva due to lack of space, and the Palais was restructured.
The building currently hosts one of the three sites of the Cantonal and University Library of Lausanne. Additionally, it contains the following museums:
- Musée cantonal des beaux-arts (Cantonal Museum of Fine Arts)
- Musée cantonal d'archéologie et d'histoire (Cantonal Museum of Archeology and History)
- Musée monétaire cantonal (Cantonal Museum of Money)
- Musée cantonal de géologie (Cantonal Museum of Geology)
- Musée cantonal de zoologie (Cantonal Museum of Zoology)
- The main hall
- The fountain
- Main entrance of the Palais de Rumine, on the Place de la Riponne
- Panorama, showing Lausanne Cathedral, the Amcienne Académie, and the Palais de Rumine
Notes and references
- Édouard Aynard, L'œuvre de Gaspard André, Lyon : A. Storck, 1898. p. 161- 168. OCLC 5107808
- www.vd.ch. "Le palais de Rumine". Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Dossier des latinistes - Lausanne : quelques exemples d'architecture néo-classique". Retrieved 2007-11-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palais de Rumine (Lausanne).|