|Subsidiary of Cision Inc.|
350 Hudson Street, Suite 300|
New York, NY 10014-4504
PR Newswire was founded in 1954. In 1971, it was sold to Western Union, which had provided the telecommunications lines and teleprinters that supported the service. In 1972, PR Newswire began using electronic terminals for copyediting. In 1978, the company adopted the Associated Press' computerized message handling and transmission system.
In 1982, PR Newswire was purchased by current owner UBM plc, known at the time as United Newspapers.
In 2000 the company acquired eWatch, founded in 1995 as an automated service to monitor websites, chat rooms, Usenet groups, web publications, online service forums and investor message boards for mentions of a specific organization, issue, product or service.
In 2001, PR Newswire issued the first Multimedia News Release for Touchstone Pictures promoting the film Pearl Harbor. The Multimedia News Release was the first press release to include b-roll, soundbites, high resolution images, and film trailer.
On December 15, 2015, PR Newswire was sold to global media intelligence company, Cision, for 841 million dollars (USD). The transaction, which requires approval by the shareholders of UBM plc as well as regulatory approvals, is expected to close late in the first quarter of 2016. As of June 2016 (closing date of the deal) it became a subsidiary of Cision.
- "Worldwide Offices - New York Headquarters". PR Newswire Association LLC. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- "About PR Newswire". PR Newswire. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Abelson, Reed (November 5, 2003). "Herbert Muschel, 85, Founder Of Service for Corporate News". New York Times. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "UBM". Media Briefing. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Touchstone Pictures' "Pearl Harbor" Premieres". Archived from the original on August 23, 2002.
- "PR Newswire Acquires Leading Online News Room Hosting Company, The Fuel Team". PR Newswire. July 31, 2009. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "UBM plc Annual Report and Accounts 2013" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on June 25, 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Todd Spangler (June 17, 2016). "PR Newswire CEO Bob Gray to Exit as Cision Completes $841 Million Acquisition". Variety. Retrieved August 17, 2016.