|Ōtsuka Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha|
TOPIX 100 Component
|Headquarters||Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan|
Number of employees
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (大塚製薬株式会社 Ōtsuka Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha) (TYO: 4578), abbreviated OPC, is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Tokyo, Osaka and Naruto, Japan. The company was established August 10, 1964. As of 2012, OPC employed 40,000 people worldwide. The company focuses on pharmaceuticals related to nutrition (or "nutraceuticals"). The company is also known for the popular sports drink Pocari Sweat and the best-selling energy drink Oronamin C. Otsuka Pharmaceutical also developed Abilify (aripiprazole), an approved drug treatment for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, which they claim has a better side effect profile compared with other antipsychotic drugs. As of 2013, annual sales of Abilify were over ~US$8,000,000,000 a year, making it the highest grossing drug worldwide as of late 2013.
OPC's parent company Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd. joined the Tokyo Stock Exchange through an initial public offering (IPO) on December 15, 2010, at which time Otsuka Holdings was Japan's No.2 drug maker by sales after industry leader Takeda Pharmaceutical Company. The IPO debuted at US$2,400,000,000, making it the largest for a pharmaceutical company up to that time.
In early 2012, Otsuka announced it would focus its "future operations on CNS disorders and oncology". This decision necessitated a revision in the terms of an agreement with UCB to end collaboration on immunology products while continuing collaboration in the CNS area.
In September 2013, Otsuka Holdings announced it had agreed to acquire Astex Pharmaceuticals for close to $900 million.
Otsuka Group Companies
As of 2015 the Otsuka Group companies number well in excess of 100, with a global footprint. Korea Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. China Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Taiwan Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Thai Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Egypt Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co.
Lunar Dream Capsule Project
On 15 May 2014, Pocari Sweat started a project to send a "dream capsule" to the Moon. The capsule will have the same shape as a Pocari Sweat can and will be filled with Pocari Sweat powder. It will be launched on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in October 2015. Once it arrives, Pocari Sweat will be the first commercial product advertised on the Moon.
- Nature Made vitamins and supplements
- Oronamin C
- Pocari Sweat
- Calorie Mate
- Metromint Water
- Metroelectro Water
- Crystal Geyser Water
- Fibe Mini
- Tokushima Vortis, football club in Naruto formerly owned by Otsuka and still sponsored by Pocari Sweat.
- (Japanese) Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Limited.
- (English) Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Limited
- (English) Otsuka Holdings, Corporate Information
- Fujita, Junko; Slodkowski, Antoni (December 16, 2010), Nathan Layne, ed., Otsuka up 5 pct in Tokyo debut after $2.4 bln IPO-UPDATE 1 (Reuters news), Forexyard, forexyard.com, retrieved January 15, 2012
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and UCB Group (UCBJF.PK) End Cimzia Collaboration, to Focus on CNS Disorders Instead, BioSpace, January 13, 2012, retrieved January 15, 2012
- UCB and Otsuka to focus collaboration on CNS disorders, Zenopa, January 13, 2012, zenopa.com, retrieved January 15, 2012
- Tim Kelly (5 September 2013). "Japan's Otsuka to buy cancer drug maker Astex Pharma". Reuters.
- http://www.otsuka.com/en/company/group/ Otsuka Group Companies list
- Sports Drink Set for Moon Mission; But, Why?, devicemag.com
- Pocari Sweat is putting the first ever ad on the lunar surface, techinasia.com
- Otsukaseiyaku ga rokextuto utiage purojyekuto ni sannkaku ! Pokari suextuto jinnruisijyouhatsu no getsumenn toutatsu innryou ni tyousenn.(Otsuka Pharmaceutical decided to take part in the project of the launch of a rocket ! Pocari Sweat may be the first drink which arrive at the Moon).(2014, February 19). IT life hack. Retrieved: itlifehack.jp/archives/976［July 12, 2014］