Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation
Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation was a World War II emergency shipyard located in Portland, Oregon, United States, that built over 1000 Liberty and Victory ships between 1941 and 1945. It also built T2 tankers during the war. It was closed after the war ended.
The shipyard, one of three Kaiser Shipyards in the area, was in St. Johns. The second, also known as Swan Island Shipyard, was located on Swan Island and the third was across the Columbia River from Portland in Vancouver, Washington.
The rapid expansion of Portland area shipyards during World War II and contraction afterward caused similar expansion and contraction of the population of Vanport City, Oregon, which was also built by Henry J. Kaiser to house the workers of the three area shipyards.
The former site of Oregon Shipbuilding in St. Johns is now Schnitzer Steel Industries.