Old Boots, New Dirt
|Old Boots, New Dirt|
|Studio album by Jason Aldean|
|Released||October 7, 2014|
|Jason Aldean chronology|
|Singles from Old Boots, New Dirt|
Old Boots, New Dirt is the sixth studio album by American country music artist Jason Aldean. It was released on October 7, 2014 via Broken Bow Records. Its lead single, "Burnin' It Down", reached the top of the US Hot Country Songs chart during its second week of availability. The album was produced by Aldean's longtime producer Michael Knox. The album's second single, "Just Gettin' Started", was released on November 10, 2014. "Tonight Looks Good on You" was released as the album's third single. "Gonna Know We Were Here" was released as the album's fourth single.
|Under the Gun||(6.5/10)|
|The New York Times||(Favourable)|
|The Boston Globe||(Neutral)|
The album received a metacritic score of 54, indicating mixed or average reviews. Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic thought the title Old Boots, New Dirt reflected the content of the album — that "Aldean's boots are getting a bit worn; he's no longer an upstart," nevertheless there were some freshness in the album, with modern electronics accentuating the singer's arena country songs. He judged the "casual, almost steely, assurance" of the album made it one of Aldean's best. Chuck Dauphin of Billboard also thought the album to be a mixture of the party songs Aldean is known for, but he "also shows a little bit more of an emotional and sensual side than listeners might be accustomed to". Jon Caramanica of The New York Times felt that Aldean had fully emerged as a "purveyor of love songs," and excelled at songs like "Show You Off" and "Tryin’ to Love Me".
Jon Dolan of Rolling Stone made the observation that the album had gone further into pop territory, while Jim Casey of Country Weekly also noted the "R&B and pop overtones" of some of the songs. Casey also thought that apart from a few upbeat songs and a "hidden gem" of a song in "Two Night Town", the rest were "ho-hum mid-tempos and ballads that don’t move the meter much in either direction." Marc Hirsh of The Boston Globe considered the album to be "all ambition and no boldness, a solidly constructed modern country album without much in the way of inspiration."
The album debuted at number 1 on the Billboard 200. It is Aldean's second album to reach number one on the chart, following his 2012 album Night Train. The album was originally predicted to sell up to 400,000 in its first week in the US, however, it only sold 278,000 copies. On December 8 2014, the album was officially certified Platinum by the RIAA for shipping over 1 million copies. In July 2015, Old Boots, New Dirt reached its millionth sales mark in the United States. As of November 2016, the album has sold 1,150,200 copies in the US.
In Canada, the album debuted at number 1 on the Canadian Albums Chart, selling 16,000 copies.
|1.||"Just Gettin' Started"||3:15|
|2.||"Show You Off"||3:08|
|3.||"Burnin' It Down"||3:39|
|4.||"Tryin' to Love Me"||3:45|
|5.||"Sweet Little Somethin'"||3:24|
|7.||"Tonight Looks Good on You"||3:51|
|9.||"If My Truck Could Talk"||3:30|
|10.||"Old Boots, New Dirt"||2:53|
|11.||"I Took It with Me"||3:02|
|12.||"Don't Change Gone"||2:56|
|13.||"Miss That Girl"||2:55|
|14.||"Gonna Know We Were Here"||3:44|
|15.||"Two Night Town"||3:20|
|Target deluxe edition bonus tracks|
|17.||"Too Much You for Me"||3:15|
|18.||"Ain't No Easy Way"||3:32|
- Jason Aldean – lead vocals, background vocals
- Kurt Allison – electric guitar
- Perry Coleman – background vocals
- Shelly Fairchild – background vocals
- Marv Green – drum programming
- Tony Harrell – Hammond B-3 organ, keyboards, piano, strings, synthesizer, Wurlitzer
- Wes Hightower – background vocals
- Mike Johnson – steel guitar, lap steel guitar
- Charlie Judge – Hammond B-3 organ
- Tully Kennedy – bass guitar
- Russ Pahl – steel guitar
- Danny Rader – banjo, bouzouki, 12-string guitar, acoustic guitar, hi-string guitar
- Rich Redmond – drum programming, drums, percussion
- Adam Shoenfeld – e-bow, acoustic guitar, electric guitar
- Chris Stapleton – background vocals
- Neil Thrasher – background vocals
- Chris Tompkins – drum programming
- Jim Casey (October 24, 2014). "Old Boots, New Dirt by Jason Aldean". Country Weekly.
- Dauphin, Chuck. "Fall Album Preview: 72 Anticipated Releases". Billboard. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds :: Country". Radio & Records. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Jason Aldean Country Quickie". Retrieved March 3, 2015.
- "Old Boots, New Dirt - Jason Aldean". Metacritic. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Dauphin, Chuck (October 7, 2014). "Jason Aldean's 'Old Boots, New Dirt': Track-by-Track Review". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- Gamboa, Glenn (October 7, 2014). "Jason Aldean's 'Old Boots, New Dirt' review: Well crafted". Newsday. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- Shotwell, James (October 7, 2014). "REVIEW: Jason Aldean – 'Old Boots, New Dirt'". Under the Gun. Retrieved October 11, 2014.
- Caramanica, Jon. "Tattletale Trucks and Feet on the Dash". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Erlewine, Stephen. "Old Boots, New Dirt - Jason Aldean". AllMusic. All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Hirsh, Marc. "Jason Aldean, 'Old Boots, New Dirt'". Boston Globe. BOSTON GLOBE MEDIA PARTNERS, LLC. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Dolan, Jon. "Jason Aldean's New Album". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Easton, Anthony. "Jason Aldean: Old Boots, New Dirt". PopMatters. PopMatters Media, Inc. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Jason Aldean Heading for No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart | Billboard
- Jason Aldean Leads Album Sales Chart; Hozier, Alex & Sierra Follow (Updated)
- Country Album Chart Recap: October 15, 2014 | RoughStock
- Caulfield, Keith (July 31, 2015). "Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Jason Aldean's 'Boots' Album Hits 1 Million Sold". Billboard.
- Bjorke, Matt (November 2, 2016). "Special Report: Catalog Country Album Sales: October 2, 2016". Roughstock.
- A Journal of Musical ThingsWeekly Music Sales Report and Analysis: 15 October 2014 - A Journal of Musical Things
- "ARIA Australian Top 50 Albums". ARIA. Retrieved February 27, 2015.
- "Jason Aldean – Chart history" Billboard Canadian Albums Chart for Jason Aldean.
- "Jason Aldean – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Jason Aldean.
- "Jason Aldean – Chart history" Billboard Top Country Albums for Jason Aldean.
- "Jason Aldean – Chart history" Billboard Independent Albums for Jason Aldean.
- "Billboard 200 Albums: Year-End top-selling albums across all genres". Billboard.
- "Top Country Albums: 2014 Year-End Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Top Independent Albums: 2014 Year-End Charts". Billboard.
- "American album certifications – Jason Aldean – Old Boots, New Dirt". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved December 5, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Bringing Back the Sunshine by Blake Shelton
Montevallo by Sam Hunt
Man Against Machine by Garth Brooks
|Top Country Albums number-one album
October 25, 2014
November 22, 2014
January 17, 2015
| Succeeded by|
Anything Goes by Florida Georgia Line
Man Against Machine by Garth Brooks
Man Against Machine by Garth Brooks