Northwood Halt railway station
Northwood Halt is an unstaffed request stop on the Severn Valley Railway in Worcestershire, situated a little to the north of Bewdley on the outskirts of the Wyre Forest. There is a level crossing just to the south of the single platform. It is the only surviving original halt on the line.
The halt first opened in June 1935 and was in use until the end of British Railways passenger services beyond Bewdley in 1963. Although thought by some people to have been closed as part of the Beeching axe in 1963 its planned closure pre-dated his report. It was well used by fishermen, ramblers and tourists, and was reopened immediately after the SVR's southerly extension of services in 1974. Northwood Halt is not included in the public timetable.
The level crossing is now protected by light signals and an audible warning; this system replaced hand-operated gates, the scene of two serious accidents in 1947 and 1964.
Upon reopening the only shelter for passengers awaiting trains was a wooden shed. This was subsequently replaced with a GWR style pagoda that was constructed by volunteers at Kidderminster.
- "Northwood Pagoda Hut". Friends of Kidderminster Town Station. Retrieved August 7, 2006.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Arley||Severn Valley Railway||Bewdley|