North Lancashire Steam Navigation Company
|Fleetwood, Belfast, Derry|
The founder of Fleetwood, Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood, started occasional shipping services from around 1841 using a paddle steamer. Scheduled services began in 1843 when Frederick Kemp formed the North Lancashire Steam Navigation Company. Initially there were two services per week, leaving Fleetwood on Wednesdays and Saturdays and returned on Mondays and Fridays.
By 1853 trains to Fleetwood railway station provided a link to the service. By 1892 sailings were timed to meet the train service.
Steamers carried cargo, mostly Irish cattle, as well as the Royal Mail. The service to Derry terminated in 1912.
- History of the Fylde of Lancashire. John Porter. 1876
- The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. Volume 2 John Marshall. 1969
- Railway and other steamers. C Duckworth, G Langmuir. 1948
- Railway Gazette. Volume 76. 1942