University Hospital of Umeå
|University Hospital of Umeå|
|Location||Umeå, Västerbotten County, Sweden|
|Affiliated university||Umeå University|
|Lists||Hospitals in Sweden|
It is also a teaching hospital for Umeå University, with the Faculty of Medicine as the responsible authority; 13 departments and two science centres, 12 undergraduate academic programmes, and several master programmes. Within the faculty there are about 3,400 undergraduate and 600 postgraduate students, and about 1,200 staff, of which about 45 percent are teachers/researchers.
It was founded as a lasarett in 1784, known as the Yellow House (Gula huset), on Storgatan 28 in Umeå. It had eight beds. The building still remains but is no longer used by the hospital.
As Umeå expanded a new hospital was built on Ålidbacken in central Umeå. It was started in 1907 (celebrating its centennial in 2007). It had 134 beds.
In 1918 the hospital was expanded further. In 1926 the eye clinic was completed, in 1937 a new pediatrics department was created, and in 1957 the gynecological and obstetrics department was opened up.
A photographing ban was introduced in 2011 by the Västerbotten County Council, citing the integrity of patients and personnel. The ban was however not limited to the hospital but included all premises of the County Council. The ban has been met with protests, including from Sveriges Television, TV4 and Västerbottens-Kuriren.
- "Om Nus" (in Swedish). Västerbotten County Council. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "About the Faculty of Medicine". Umeå university. 4 January 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- Asplund, Kjell. "Medicinska kliniken och medicinska institutionen vid NUS- en kort historik" (in Swedish). Umeå University. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Nya regler för filminspelning, fotografering och ljudupptagning i landstinget" (in Swedish). Västerbotten County Council. 18 October 2011. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Engström, Monica G (18 October 2011). "Fotoförbud införs inom vården". Västerbottens-Kuriren (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 2 April 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Protest mot fotoförbudet". Västerbottens-Kuriren (in Swedish). 28 October 2011. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University Hospital of Umeå.|