نظام آباد ضلع
|District of Telangana|
Nizamabad Fort Entrance
Location in Telangana, India
(Officially from 2 June 2014)
|• Body||Zilla Parishad|
|• Total||4,153 km2 (1,603 sq mi)|
|Area rank||11th (in state)|
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TS 16|
Nizam stands for Nizam, the governor (of the empire) of Hyderabad State and Abad means 'Long Live'. Nizamabad was founded in the year 1905 when Nizam's Dominion were recognized, where up to it was known as Indur which was supposed to have originated from the name of the King Indradatta who seems to have flourished it during the 5th century A.D. Later during the 18th century the Nizams ruled over the Deccan region and the district got its name from him.
The geographical area of the district is 4,153 square kilometres (1,603 sq mi) and it is located at 18°41′N 78°6′E / 18.683°N 78.100°E. Nizamabad is bounded on the North by Nirmal district, on the East by Jagtial and Karimnagar district, on the South lies Kamareddy district, and on the West by Nanded district of Maharashtra State. The Godavari River enters into Telangana from Nizamabad district at Kandhakurthi.
As of 2011 Census of India, the district has a population of 1,534,428. In 2006 the Indian government named Nizāmābād one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the ten districts of Telangana currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The below table categorizes 26 mandals into their respective revenue divisions in the district:
|S.No.||Armoor revenue division||S.No.||Bodhan revenue division||S.No.||Nizamabad revenue division|
Nizamabad district has good road connectivity. Almost all the towns and villages in the district have well laid asphalt roads and are connected to district headquarters. Nizamabad has 2 National Highways passing through it, one being NH 7 which connects Kanyakumari and Varanasi and the other is NH16 which starts from Nizamabad and passes through Karimnagar to Jagadalpur in the state of Chhattisgarh. The Telangana State Road Transport Corporation (TSRTC) runs around 700 buses from district headquarters on a daily basis.
Nizamabad Railway Station is the major train station in the district which is located on Secunderabad-Manmad section of Hyderabad Division of the South Central Railway Zone (SCR). Not all the towns in the district have a rail network coverage but Nizamabad being one of the important stations on the line carters the need of the people. Jankampet Junction which lies on the north of Nizamabad city connects to Bodhan town.
Nizamabad railway station may become a junction connecting northern, southern and western India lines by March 2016. Railway line from Nizamabad-Peddapalli via Armoor & Karimnagar, is under construction. There is also a plan for extending the railway line from Bodhan to Bidar.
Many engineering colleges are located in the district. Vijay Rural Engineering College, Nizamabad (VREC), affiliated with Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad (JNTUH) is the reputed engineering college located in Telangana. Kakatiya Institutions of Nizamabad is a group of institutions known for their excellence in state of Telangana and the erstwhile Andhra Pradesh.
Telangana University is a public university under the government of AP, located at Dichpally, 15 km from the city. There are many educational institutions that provide education namely VREC, Arkay College of Engineering and Technology, Kshatriya College of Engineering, Kakatiya Engineering College for Women, Government Medical College, Nishitha Degree College, etc.
RGUKT, Basar popularly known as IIIT Basar is an autonomous institution located 35 km from Nizamabad. The official name of the institute is Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies. It offers six-year integrated B.Tech programme with three semesters every year for those passing SSC, for award of dual degrees in different specializations of engineering and science.
- Pocharam Wildlife Sanctuaryis a forest and wildlife sanctuary spread across 130 square kilometres (50 sq mi), between the districts of Nizamabad and Medak, it was a former hunting ground of the Nizam that was declared a wildlife sanctuary in the early 20th century.
- Alisagar is 10 km (6.2 mi) from Nizamabad city and 2 km (1.2 mi) off the Nizamabad-Basar road.
- Malavath Purna, a 13-year-old student from Nizamabad became the youngest person ever to climb the Mount Everest when she reached the peak on 25 May 2014. She was accompanied by Sadanapalli Anand, another 17-year-old student from Khammam.
- Nikhat Zareen is an Indian boxer who won gold medals at International Boxing Tournaments .
- Yendala Soundarya is the vice-captain of Indian women's national field hockey team.
- Nithiin, Vennela Kishore and Dil Raju are famous celebrities who works primarily for the Telugu film industry.
- Sagar Bhogaraju is a young scientist who is in the limelight after his research work in structural biology and biochemistry which was presented at the prestigious Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry in Munich, Germany.
- "New districts". Andhra Jyothy.com. 8 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "District Codes". Government of Telangana Transport Department. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- ":: Welcome to Nizamabd.com ::".
- "History of Indur".
- "District Census Handbook - Adilabad" (PDF). Census of India. p. 9. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Falling Rain Genomics, Inc – Nizamabād". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "K Chandrasekhar Rao appoints collectors for new districts". Deccan Chronicle. 11 October 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Clipping of Andhra Jyothy Telugu Daily - Hyderabad". Andhra Jyothy. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "North South East West Map". National Highway Development Project. Retrieved 16 June 2008.
- "NZB/Nizamabad (3 PFs) Railway Station - Today's Train Departure Timings - India Rail Info - A Busy Junction for Travellers & Rail Enthusiasts". India Rail Info.
- P. Ram Mohan. "Importance of Nizamabad railway station to grow soon". The Hindu.
- "Rs 250 cr for Peddapalli to Nizamabad Rail Line". The New Indian Express.
- Arkay College of Engineering & Technology
- "Welcome to Kshatriya College of Engineering".
- Nizamabad Medical College Meghana Dental College
- "Sonia to inaugurate IIIT at Idupulapaya today". The Hindu.
- "13-year-old Purna becomes youngest girl to scale Everest". The Times of India. 26 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- P. Ram Mohan (21 September 2014). "Young scientist from Nizamabad making strides". Nizamabad. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nizamabad district.|
|Nanded district, Maharashtra||Karimnagar district|
|Bidar district, Karnataka||Medak district|