Niger–United States relations
According to the 2012 U.S. Global Leadership Report, 73% of Nigeriens approve of U.S. leadership, with 19% disapproving and 9% uncertain.
U.S. relations with Niger have generally been close and friendly since Niger attained independence. Although USAID does not have a Mission in Niger, $30 million in annual official aid is administered through American and local non-governmental organizations with programs addressing food security, health, local governance, youth training, girls' education, corruption control, and improving the business environment. The U.S. Peace Corps program in Niger started in 1962. It currently has about 130 volunteers in Niger and celebrated its 50th anniversary in Niger in September 2012.
In January 2013, the U.S. and Niger signed an agreement allowing the U.S. to operate unarmed drones from Nigerien territory. In February 2013, the U.S. deployed 100 troops to assist in intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing to support French operations in neighboring Mali.
Principal U.S. Officials include:
- Ambassador--Bernadette M. Allen
- Deputy Chief of Mission—Donald Koran
- Defense Attaché—Lieutenant Colonel Marie Kokotajlo
- Joint Management Officer—Don D. Curtis
- Economic/Commercial/Consular Officer—Richard M. Roberts
- Public Affairs Officer—Stephen J. Posivak
- Peace Corps Director—Mary Abrams
- USAID Country Program Manager—Mark Wentling
- Nigerien Americans
- Foreign relations of Niger
- Foreign relations of the United States
- Ambassadors of Niger to the United States
- United States Ambassador to Niger
- U.S. Global Leadership Project Report - 2012 Gallup
- Crawford, Jamie; Lawrence, Chris (29 January 2013). "U.S. to base surveillance drones in Niger, ambassador says". CNN. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Mali conflict: US deploys 100 troops to neighbour Niger". BBC News. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Julie Pace; Robert Burns (Feb 23, 2013). "American troops in Niger to set up drone base". Air Force Times. Retrieved Feb 25, 2013.
Media related to Niger – United States relations at Wikimedia Commons