New York–Pennsylvania League (1923–37)
|No. of teams||22 (total)|
|Elmira Pioneers (1)|
Tie (3 each):|
The forerunner to the modern Class AA Eastern League, it was a Class B circuit through 1932 and upgraded to Class A for the final five seasons of its existence. It is actually the second of three leagues to bear the name. The original NY-P League played for one season, in 1891. In 1957, the PONY League changed its name to the New York–Penn League and has operated under that identity since, beginning as a Class D loop and now as a Short Season A league.
The NY-PL's longest-tenured franchises during the 1923–37 period included Binghamton, a New York Yankees affiliate, Elmira, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport, all of which were members for the league's 15-year existence.
When Hartford, Connecticut, entered the loop in 1938, the NY–PL adopted the Eastern League name, and has operated under that identity since. (Previous editions of the Eastern League had existed from 1883–86, 1892–1911 and 1916–32. The second incarnation of the EL changed its name in 1912 to the current International League.)