New Utrecht High School
|New Utrecht High School|
1601 80th Street|
Brooklyn, New York, 11214
|Coordinates||40°36′48″N 74°00′11″W / 40.6132°N 74.003°WCoordinates: 40°36′48″N 74°00′11″W / 40.6132°N 74.003°W|
|Principal||Mrs. Maureen Goldfarb|
|Number of students||3,000+|
|Color(s)||White and Green|
|Information||Phone: 718-232-2500 Fax: 718-259-5526|
|Website||New Utrecht High School|
New Utrecht High School (formerly known as New Utrecht Training School, but the initials spelled N.U.T.S. leading to the name change sometime in the mid 1900s) is a coeducational public high school in Brooklyn, New York City, serving 3,000+ pupils. It is part of New York City District 20.
Notable alumni include:
- Walter Adams: Economist, 13th President of Michigan State University, and Bronze Star Medal awardee
- Carmine Appice: Musician; drummer (Vanilla Fudge)
- Steve Augeri: Singer (Journey)
- Scott Baio: Actor
- Gene Barry: Actor
- Barbara Aronstein Black: Dean of Columbia Law School; first woman to head an Ivy League law school
- Abe Burrows: Playwright
- Pat Capri: Major League Baseball player
- Jack Carter: Comedian
- Roberto Caruso: walk-on basketball player, St. John's University
- Phyllis Chesler: Feminist author, psychologist
- Tom DeFeo: President of Fangoria Magazine and Starlog Group
- Stanley Ellin: Author
- Jerry Ferrara: Actor
- Cy Feuer: Playwright, stage director/producer (Guys and Dolls, Silk Stockings and other Broadway hits); did not graduate.
- Stanley Fink: Speaker of the New York State Assembly
- Eli Friedman: Nephrologist
- Leo Friedman: Broadway photographer
- David Geffen: Media mogul
- Saverio Guerra: Actor/Producer
- Philip Habib: U.S. diplomat
- Buddy Hackett: Comedian
- Barbara Grizzuti Harrison: Writer
- Sal Iacono: Television comedian (Jimmy Kimmel Live!)
- David Ignatow: Bollingen Prize Poet, author; President of the Poetry Society of America
- Gabe Kaplan: Comic, actor, poker player
- Michael Kidd: Choreographer
- Harvey Lembeck: Actor
- Steve Lombardi: Professional wrestler
- Paulie Malignaggi: "The Magic Man", professional boxer; former Junior Welterweight and Welterweight world champion
- Robert Merrill: Opera singer
- Doretta Morrow: Musical comedy/operetta actress
- Angela "Big Ang" Raiola: TV personality
- Anthony Ramos: Actor, singer (Hamilton)
- Daniel Rodriguez: the 'Singing Policeman' from 9-11, professional singer
- John Saxon: Actor
- Ralph Snyderman Physician, scientist, administrator
- Arnold Stang: Comedian
- Martha Stewart: Film, TV actress; singer
- Tony Visconti: Music producer
- Troy Ave: Rapper
Advanced Placement courses offered
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP World History/Human Geography
- AP United States History
- AP United States Government and Politics
- AP Comparative Government and Politics
- AP Micro-Economics
- AP Macro-Economics
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Chemistry
- AP Physics
- AP Biology
- AP Psychology
In popular culture
Extra curricular activities
New Utrecht has an active student government, which is elected every May. For close to a century the student government positions were Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Secretary, Treasurer, and student representatives from each grade. The mayoral theme was a longstanding tradition that stemmed from the fact that New Utrecht (the neighborhood) was named by Dutch settlers after the city of Utrecht in the Netherlands. In 2015, the student government decided to change the name of the two major positions of Mayor and Deputy Mayor to Student Body President and Student Body Vice President. The New Utrecht High School Student Government is responsible for allocating funds to clubs, as well as organizing a School Spirit Week, a Thanksgiving Dinner, a Toy Drive, and other annual, school-wide events.
There is also a Senior Council composed of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Senior Council is responsible for organizing Senior events, such as the Senior Class Brunch and Senior Trip, creating the Senior Class sweatshirts, voicing concerns of the Senior Class to the administration, and keeping the Senior Class informed.
School Leadership Team
The School Leadership Team consists of representatives from the school administration, parents, teachers and students. The students are usually two active students, one junior and one senior, who voice the concerns of the student body. The SLT meets monthly to discuss and work on issues related to implementation of the school’s mission and vision. A P.T.A. meeting follows immediately after.
Productions at New Utrecht High School
There are four productions held annually at New Utrecht- the Talent Show, the Chinese New Year Show, the Fashion Show, and the International Show.
The Talent Show is open to everyone and anyone who has talent, whether it be singing, dancing, magic, comedy or any other jaw dropping act. The sound crew, lighting crew, stage crew, construction crew and booklet crew are all entirely run by students. The show is usually in December.
The Asian New Year Show is a show put on near the Chinese New Year, and has singing, dancing, acting and everything else, revolving around Chinese culture. The Chinese Club at New Utrecht has a partnership with an outside group called the Chinese Planning Council.
The Fashion Show production at New Utrecht High School is student run and consists of students in the New Utrecht Fashion Society creating their own clothes, and having their friends model it for them. The show is usually in March or April.
The International Show is held in April or May, and is a show that, like the others, is completely student run. It is similar to the Talent Show, but focuses on other countries around the world.
New Utrecht offers a plethora of clubs. They are Student Government, Arista, Art Club, Asian Club, Chess/Gaming Club, Creative Problem Solving Club, Cooking Club, Cosmetology/Makeup Club, Dance Club, Disc Jockey (DJ) Club, Forensic Science Club, Glee Club, Healthy Living Club, History Club, LGBTSA Club, Photography Club, Robotics Club, Russian Club, Sound Club/Audio-Visual, Stock/Investigating Club.
Every morning, a set group of students read aloud announcements over the PA system.
- The entranceway of the
- The rear of the school, 2013
- The school in 2003
- The school in 2003
- The school in 2003
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Utrecht High School.|