Nativity Cathedral, Chișinău
|Nativity of Christ Cathedral |
Catedrala Nașterea Domnului
|Dedicated||15 October 1836|
The Cathedral of Christ's Nativity (Romanian: Catedrala Mitropolitană Nașterea Domnului) is the main cathedral of the Moldovan Orthodox Church in Central Chișinău, Moldova. It was commissioned by the governor of New Russia, Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, and Metropolitan Gavril Bănulescu-Bodoni in 1830. The cathedral was built in the 1830s to a Neoclassical design by Abram Melnikov (who had designed a similar church in Bolhrad). The cathedral was bombed during the World War II, and its bell tower was destroyed by the local Communists in 1962. The new bell tower was constructed in 1997. During the Soviet period, worship was prohibited and the cathedral was transformed into an exhibition center.
This church built by Melnikov is a pure example of neo-classism architecture. The front remains very simple and clear with 6 Doric column for the entrance. Because of the numerous destructions which the cathedral suffered throughout time, the building had received several restorations and shifts in its shape. For instance, the current zinc dome and its cross at the top both are both an addition from 1997 built over the previous structure. The inside was completely blank during the Soviet period but nowadays it sports beautiful painted walls in pure orthodox style.
- During 2009 riot
Centrul istoric al Chişinǎlui, La începutul secolului al XXI-LEA, Chișinǎu, Editura ARC, 2009.
Media related to Nativity Cathedral, Chișinău at Wikimedia Commons