National Socialist Women's League
|Legal status||Defunct, Illegal|
|Part of a series on|
The National Socialist Women's League (German: Nationalsozialistische Frauenschaft, abbreviated NS-Frauenschaft) was the women's wing of the Nazi Party. It was founded in October 1931 as a fusion of several nationalist and National Socialist women's associations.
The Frauenschaft was subordinated to the national party leadership (Reichsleitung); girls and young women were the purview of the Bund Deutscher Mädel (BDM). From February 1934 to the end of World War II in 1945, the NS-Frauenschaft was led by Reich's Women's Leader (Reichsfrauenführerin) Gertrud Scholtz-Klink (1902–1999). It put out a biweekly magazine, the NS-Frauen-Warte.
Its activities included instruction in the use of German-manufactured products, such as butter and rayon, in place of imported ones, as part of the self-sufficiency program, and classes for brides and schoolgirls. During wartime, it also provided refreshments at train stations, collected scrap metal and other materials, ran cookery and other classes, and allocated the domestics conscripted in the east to large families. Propaganda organizations depended on it as the primary spreader of propaganda to women.
The German National Socialist Women's League Children's Group was known as "Kinderschar".
- "NS-Frauenwarte: Paper of the National Socialist Women's League"
- Richard Grunberger, The 12-Year Reich, p 258, ISBN 0-03-076435-1
- Leila J. Rupp, Mobilizing Women for War, p 105, ISBN 0-691-04649-2, OCLC 3379930
- Payne, Stanley G. 1995 A History of Fascism 1914-1945 University of Wisconsin Press, Madison p. 184
- Die NS-Frauenschaft at Lebendiges Museum Online. (German)
- NS-Frauenpolitik und NS-Frauenorganisationen (NS women's policy and women's organisations] at Lebendiges Museum Online. (German)