National Institute of Open Schooling
National Institute of Open Schooling
|Formation||3 November 1989|
|Type||Governmental Board of School Education|
|Headquarters||Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Hindi and English|
|Ministry of Human Resource Development|
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS; राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विद्यालयी शिक्षा संस्थान), formerly National Open School,(name changed in 2002) is the board of education under the Union Government of India. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India in 1989 to provide education to remote areas under the motive to increase literacy and aimed forward for flexible learning. The NIOS is a national board that administers examinations for Secondary and Senior Secondary examinations of open schools similar to the CBSE and the CISCE to increase literacy and provide education to rural areas. It also offers vocational courses after the high school. Despite being established for distance education, NIOS provides a formal and regular secondary and Senior Secondary program equivalent to CBSE.
It had a cumulative enrollment of about 1.5 million students from 2004 to 2009 at secondary and senior secondary levels and enrolls about 350,000 students annually which makes it the largest open schooling system in the world.
International collaboration and overseas centers
The NIOS collaborates with the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) and UNESCO. It also has study centers for Indian expatriates in the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Kuwait, Nepal, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore and the United States of America.
NIOS offer the following courses:
- Open Basic Education Programme, which includes following three levels courses
- OBE 'A' Level course—Equivalent to class III
- OBE 'B' Level course—Equivalent to class V
- OBE 'C' Level course—Equivalent to class VIII
- Secondary Course—Equivalent to class X
- Senior Secondary Course—Equivalent to class XII
- Vocational Education Courses
- Life enrichment programmes
The public examinations are held twice a year in April–May and October–November on dates fixed by the NIOS. However, one is also eligible to appear through the On Demand Examinations at Secondary Level and Senior Secondary level in those subjects only in which candidates have taken admission in NIOS for subject wise learning. Results of the public examinations are announced usually six weeks after the last date of examinations.
Regional offices of the board
|Regional offices||Jurisdiction/States covered|
|Delhi I||East Delhi, North Delhi, North East Delhi, North West Delhi, Jhajjar, Gautam Budh Nagar and Ghaziabad|
|Delhi II||South Delhi, West Delhi, South West Delhi, Central Delhi, New Delhi, Gurgaon and Faridabad|
|Hyderabad||Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka|
|Pune||Maharashtra and Goa, Daman and Diu|
|Chandigarh||Haryana (excluding Faridabad, Gurgaon and Jhajjar), Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and Chandigarh|
|Kolkata||Sikkim, West Bengal and Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Subcentre Bhubaneswar|
|Chennai||Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry|
|Patna||Bihar and Jharkhand|
|Jaipur||Rajasthan and Gujarat|
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), India
- Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), India (ICSE and ISC examinations are conducted by CISCE )
- Indian School Certificate (ISC), India
- Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), India
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC)
- West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE), India
- Board of Secondary Education, Madhya Pradesh (MPBSE), India
- Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education (MSBSHSE), India
- Boards of Education in India
- "National Institute Of Open Schooling". Nos.org. 2012-02-19. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "pub_PS_OpenSchooling_web" (PDF). Col.org. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "International Centre for Training in Open Schooling". Nos.org. 1945-11-16. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- Majumdar Sahil, Pallavi (October 15, 2002). "Open school for UAE expats". Times of India. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- "Evaluation System". NIOS. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- NIOS 10th Class Result