National College Baseball Hall of Fame
The National College Baseball Hall of Fame, located in Lubbock, Texas, is a museum operated by the College Baseball Foundation serving as the central point for the study of the history of college baseball in the United States. In partnership with the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library on the campus of Texas Tech University, the National College Baseball Hall of Fame inducts five former collegiate players and five former coaches in addition to two veteran players (from the pre-1947 era), annually.
The College Baseball Foundation was formed in 2004 as a non-profit organization, with the dual aims of continuing the Brooks Wallace Award and creating a national college baseball hall of fame. The inaugural Wallace Award was bestowed in 2004, but the inaugural Hall of Fame induction class was not chosen until 2006. A permanent building is planned for the near future. As of January 2013, the Foundation had raised approximately $7 million of the $13 million goal, after receiving a $5 million grant from the Moody Foundation.
|Member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum|
|2007||Barry, JackJack Barry||Holy Cross|
|2007||Gehrig, LouLou Gehrig||Columbia|
|2007||Mathewson, ChristyChristy Mathewson||Bucknell|
|2007||Sewell, JoeJoe Sewell||Alabama|
|2008||Disch, BillyBilly Disch||Texas|
|2008||Carroll, OwnieOwnie Carroll||Holy Cross|
|2008||Robinson, JackieJackie Robinson||UCLA|
|2009||Rickey, BranchBranch Rickey||Michigan|
|2010||Sisler, GeorgeGeorge Sisler||Michigan|
|2010||Teague, CharlesCharles Teague||Wake Forest|
Coaches become eligible after ending active collegiate career, not to include an active coach on a professional baseball team. Coaches must have achieved 300 career wins, or have won at least 65% of his games.
Players become eligible 5 years after the student-athlete's final collegiate season, not to include any active player or coach on a professional baseball team roster. Players must have completed one year of competition at a 4-year institution. Players must have made an All-American team (post-1947), an All-League team (pre-1947), or have earned verifiable national acclaim. Veteran and Historical Committees have the right to nominate individuals from pre-1947 era.
- Baseball awards#U.S. college baseball
- Helms Athletic Foundation
- List of college baseball awards
- List of museums in West Texas
- "Winfield leads class of 10 into College Baseball Hall" (July 4, 2006). Associated Press. College Sports (ESPN.com). Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- Aaron Fitt (January 8, 2013). "College Baseball Hall Of Fame Receives $5 Million Grant". Baseball America. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- The College Baseball Foundation - Hall of Fame 2006 Inductees
- "College Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees". CollegeBaseballHall.org. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- The College Baseball Foundation - Hall of Fame Induction Criteria