Narrows Covered Bridge
|The Narrows Covered Bridge|
|National Register of Historic Places|
The Narrows of Sugar Creek (Turkey Run State Park)
|Official name: The Narrows Covered Bridge|
|Named for: nearby "Narrows" on Sugar Creek.|
|Road||Narrows Road Road bypasses bridge, open to pedestrians|
|City||Turkey Run State Park|
|Crosses||Sugar Creek, Parke County, Indiana|
|Coordinates||39°53′27.68″N 87°11′8.46″W / 39.8910222°N 87.1856833°WCoordinates: 39°53′27.68″N 87°11′8.46″W / 39.8910222°N 87.1856833°W|
|Length||137 ft (42 m) 121ft +8ft overhangs on each end|
|Width||16.5 ft (5 m)|
|Clearance||12.5 ft (4 m)|
|Design||Burr Arch truss single-span bridge|
|Built||1882 Original Cost $3,400|
|Owned and Maintained by||State of Indiana Department of Natural Resources|
|Added to NRHP||Dec 22, 1978|
|MPS||Parke County Covered Bridges TR|
Location of the The Narrows Bridge in Indiana
Location of Indiana in the United States
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The Narrows Covered Bridge was built to replace the previous bridge that Salmon Lusk had built in 1847, which itself had been built to replace the bridge he'd built in 1840. The first bridge was destroyed in 1847 and the second in 1875.
The Parke County Commissioners didn't decided to replace the bridge for several years and by then iron bridges were becoming popular. Finally on August 24, 1882 the first bids opened. These included: Smith Iron Works(iron)- @$6,680, Wrought Iron Bridge Co.(iron)- @$5,706, King Iron Bridge Co.(iron)- @$2,904, Columbia Bridge Works(iron)- @$3,288, G.F. Haynes(wood)- @$2,704, and J.A. Britton(wood)- $3,750 total. Except for Mr. Britton's bid the others may or may not include the cost for the abutments or other costs. At any rate, all of the bids were rejected.
J.A. Britton was later awarded the contract for $3,400. This bridge has been acclaimed as the first in J.A. Britton’s illustrious covered bridge career. Some purists though have criticized the pointed arch joints and it can be noted that J. A. Britton built a Billie Creek Bridge in 1880, but it was probably an open bridge.
- South portal includes information about the bridge
- Here the arch is clearly visible
- List of Registered Historic Places in Indiana
- Parke County Covered Bridges
- Parke County Covered Bridge Festival
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Narrows Covered Bridge". Parke County Incorporated / Parke County Convention and Visitors Commission. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "Indiana State Historic Architectural and Archaeological Research Database (SHAARD)" (Searchable database). Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. Retrieved 2016-06-01. Note: This includes Charles Felkner (December 1977). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Parke County Covered Bridge Historic District" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-06-01., Site map, and Accompanying photographs.
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. IN-49, "Narrows Bridge, Spanning Sugar Creek at Old County Road 280 East, Turkey Run State Park, Parke County, IN"