Museo d'Arte Antica
Monument to Bernabò Visconti, 14th century
|Location||Piazza Castello 3, 20121, Milan, Italy|
The Museo d'Arte Antica is an art museum in the Castello Sforzesco ("Sforza Castle") of Milan, in Lombardy in northern Italy. It has a large collection of sculpture from the late antiquity, Mediaeval and Renaissance periods. The various frescoed rooms of the museum house an armoury, a tapestry room, some funerary monuments, the Rondanini Pietà and two mediaeval portals.
The Sala Verde ("green room") displays 15th and 16th century sculptures, the collection of arms of Sforza Castle and the Portale del Banco Mediceo, a gate removed from Via Bossi. The collection of arms, in the second part of the room, displays sculptures, armour, swords and firearms in chronological sequence from the Middle Ages to the 18th century.
Sources and links
- Media related to Museo d'arte antica (Milan) at Wikimedia Commons
- Le città d'arte:Milano, Guide brevi Skira, ed.2008, eutori vari (Italian)
- Milano e provincia, Touring Club Italiano ed.2003, autori vari (Italian)
- Website of Sforza Castle complex
- Tombstone, 1439.
- The armory.
- A plate armour.
- A frescoed hall of the museum.
- The tapestry room.
- The Rondanini Pietà.