|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|Coordinates: 46°31′N 9°37′E / 46.517°N 9.617°ECoordinates: 46°31′N 9°37′E / 46.517°N 9.617°E|
|• Total||33.80 km2 (13.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,481 m (4,859 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2014)|
|• Density||0.74/km2 (1.9/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Avers, Bivio, Ferrera, Marmorera, Riom-Parsonz, Savognin, Sur, Tinizong-Rona|
Mulegns is village and a former municipality in the Sursés in the district of Albula in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. On 1 January 2016 the former municipalities of Bivio, Cunter, Marmorera, Mulegns, Riom-Parsonz, Salouf, Savognin, Sur and Tinizong-Rona merged to form the new municipality of Surses.
Around 600-500 BC, a copper mine and smelter were built in the Val Faller (Faller valley) near modern Mulegns. The village was founded by a Walser group during the 15th Century. It was first mentioned in 1521.
Mulegns had an area, as of 2006, of 33.8 km2 (13.1 sq mi). Of this area, 30.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 9.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (59.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The former municipality is located in the Surses sub-district of the Albula district. It is along the road to the Julier Pass (the Julienstrasse) at the entrance to a side valley of the Val Faller. Until 1943 Mulegns was known as Mühlen.
As of 2000, the gender distribution of the population was 50.0% male and 50.0% female. The age distribution, as of 2000, in Mulegns is; 3 people or 9.1% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 1 person or 3.0% is 10 to 14, and 2 people or 6.1% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, no one is between 20 and 29 years old. 6 people or 18.2% are 30 to 39, 1 person or 3.0% is 40 to 49, and 5 people or 15.2% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 8 people or 24.2% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 6 people or 18.2% are 70 to 79, there is 1 person or 3.0% who is 80 to 89.
Mulegns has an unemployment rate of 1.56%. As of 2005, there were 12 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 5 businesses involved in this sector. people are employed in the secondary sector and there are businesses in this sector. 1 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 1 businesses in this sector.
Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks Rhaeto-Romance (57.6%), with the rest speaking German(42.4%).
|Languages in Mulegns|
|Languages||Census 1980||Census 1990||Census 2000|
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 27 April 2016
- Mulegns in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 30-Sep-2009
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 23 September 2009
- Graubunden in Numbers (German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics (German) accessed 21 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mulegns.|