Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning
|Jurisdiction||Government of South Korea|
|Deputy Ministers responsible||
The Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning (MSIP, Hangul: 미래창조과학부; Hanja: 未來創造科學部) is a ministry of the Government of South Korea. Its purpose is to set, manage, and evaluate science and technology policy, support scientific research and development, develop human resources, conduct R&D leading to the production and consumption of Atomic power, plan national informatization and information protection strategies, manage radio frequency bands, oversee the information and communications technology (ICT) industry, and operate Korea Post. Its headquarters are in Building #4 of the Gwacheon Government Complex in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province.
The creation of the ministry was announced in February 2013. The ministry was created under a reorganization plan initiated by South Korean President Park Geun-hye in an effort to generate new sources of economic growth in the areas of science and information technology.
Mandate & Activities
Policies on new media, such as cable TV service operators, satellite channels and digital media broadcasting (DMB), have been transferred to this ministry. The ministry is expected to contribute to the creation of about 410,000 jobs in these areas by the year 2017, including about 90,000 jobs in business start-ups.
The ministry will help drive the so-called national informatization project, which seeks to introduce technology into a variety of areas including traditional markets, agriculture, and small- and medium-sized businesses.
The ministry is responsible for awarding the Korea Science and Technology Award in conjunction with the Korean Federation of Science and Technology Societies (KOFST) and the Korea Mobile App Award in conjunction with the MoneyToday publication.
Because the ministry not only took over from the former Ministry of Science and Technology, but also assumed responsibility for ICT from the Ministry of Information and Communication and control of Korea Post, some people worry that it has become bloated. Some others worry about its Korean name, as the Korean name translates directly to English as "Ministry of Future Creation and Science". Some scientists worry that it hints at Creationism.
On May 2013, a mission was created within the ministry, stating their purpose as "Becoming lead Gospel on ministry, and change country for god". According to their business plan, they planned to evangelize one person every month, identifying Islam as a cult organization. People worry about the religious neutrality of public servants. A person in charge said "the business plan is just a document made by a member of the mission, and is not an official policy".
- "Law of government formation" (in Korean). Republic of Korea. 2013-12-24. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Location Map." (Archive) Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning. Retrieved on January 1, 2014. "Government Complex-Gwacheon, 47, Gwanmun-ro, Gwacheon-si, Gyeonggi-do 427-700, KOREA"
- Chang, J.S. "English names of government ministries finalized" Yonhap News March 28, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- "Science & ICT ministry strives to create jobs, new industries" Korea IT Times April 22, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- Shim, S. "(2nd LD) Rival parties reach agreement on gov't restructuring plan" "Yonhap News" March 17, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- Jun Ji-hye. "Choi quizzed over creative economy" "Korea Times" April 1, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- Lee, Yoolim. "Growth Not Missile Threat Tops Park's South Korea Agenda" Bloomberg May 31, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- Lee, Hansoo. "A Nifty Mobile Photography App Achieves International Recognition" Wall Street Journal June 5, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- Kwon, Ji-youn. "SNU professors win national science award" Korea Times June 25, 2013. Retrieved on June 28, 2013.
- Jin, Um (16 January 2013). 정부 부처 명칭 어찌하오리까?. TV Chosun (in Korean). Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Seungsup, Kim (27 February 2013). 장하나 "미래창조과학부 종교연구단체?" (in Korean). News1. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Dongyun Lee (3 May 2013). 미래창조과학부 기독선교회 창립… 회장은 용홍택 정책관 (in Korean). Christiantoday. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Sangyeop Lee (3 May 2013). 미래창조과학부 기독선교회 창립, 종교 중립 논란 (in Korean). SBS. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- Yongha Ryu (11 June 2013). 미래부 특정 종교 '입김' 강해지나…이슬람교 이단 규정 (in Korean). Dong A Science. Retrieved 7 January 2014.