Millennium & Copthorne Hotels
|Traded as||LSE: MLC|
Kwek Leng Beng, Chairman|
Aloysius Lee Tse Sang, CEO
|Revenue||£847 million (2015)|
|£112 million (2015)|
|£97 million (2015)|
Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc, operator of the Millennium, Copthorne and Kingsgate hotel chains, is a leading global hospitality management and real estate group, with 120 hotels in 79 business and leisure destinations in Asia, Australasia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. The Company was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1996 and it is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index, Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc is headquartered in London.
The Group's origins date to 1972 when British Caledonian Airways acquired the Copthorne Hotel at Copthorne, West Sussex, near Gatwick. The Copthorne Hotels brand was launched in 1985 and a number of new hotels opened in the UK, France and Germany. In 1989, Singapore based CDL Hotels International acquired 6 hotels in Asia and in 1993 CDL made its first move outside Asia – purchasing the 548-room Gloucester Hotel in London. In the same year CDL took control of a 13-hotel chain in New Zealand. In 1994, CDL made its entry into the US with the purchase of the Millenium Hilton in New York and acquired the Millennium Broadway in New York’s Times Square district in December. In 1995, CDL Hotels acquired Copthorne Hotels and the enlarged corporation became Millennium and Copthorne Hotels.
In 1999, Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc acquired Regal Hotels in the US and in 2001 they expanded into the Middle East with several management contracts secured in the United Arab Emirates. The first of six new hotels in China opened in 2008.
The Group is structured as follows:
- Millennium Hotels – Worldwide – www.millenniumhotels.com
- Copthorne Hotels – China, Malaysia, Singapore, UK, New Zealand, Iraq, Qatar and UAE – www.millenniumhotels.com
- Kingsgate Hotels – New Zealand, United Arab Emirates – www.millenniumhotels.com
List of Hotels
(Starting September 7th 2016)
Eastern Europe & Caucasus
A Singapore investment company City Developments Limited owns approximately 62% of the issued share capital in Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc.
- "Annual Report 2015" (PDF) (Press release). Millennium & Copthorne Hotels. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Millennium and Copthorne Hotels plc". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "World Airline Directory". Flight International. 29 March 1986. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Stevenson, Tom (14 July 1994). "Singapore investor buys hotel in London". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc History". Funding Universe. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Millenium sold to CDL Hotels International". The New York Times. 16 February 1994. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Wilson, Iain (7 October 1995). "Singapore group buys Glasgow's Copthorne Aer Lingus sells hotel for £224m". The Glasgow Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Regal Riverfront becomes Millennium Hotel-St. Louis". St. Louis Business Journal. 9 April 2001. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "The five-star Millennium Chengdu Hotel China to open in 2008". Easier Travel. 2 August 2007. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Biltmore Hotel Tbilisi: Georgia's most luxurious hotel opens with impressive display". agenda.ge. 1 August 2016. Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "Millennium expands through acquisition". Hotel News Now. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Official site – www.millenniumhotels.com