Mike Evans (wide receiver)
Evans in 2014
|No. 13 Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Date of birth:||August 21, 1993|
|Place of birth:||Galveston, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||231 lb (105 kg)|
|High school:||Galveston (TX) Ball|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 12, 2016|
Michael Lynn Evans III (born August 21, 1993) is an American football wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Texas A&M, where he earned consensus first-team All-American honors after recording a school record of 1,394 receiving yards on 69 receptions, and was drafted by the Buccaneers seventh overall in the 2014 NFL Draft.
High school career
Evans attended Ball High School in Galveston, Texas, where he played basketball, football and ran track. In basketball, he averaged 18.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 5.2 assists as a senior. He only played football during his senior year, earning second-team District 24-4A honors after making 25 receptions for 648 yards and 7 touchdowns.
In track & field, Evans competed in the jumping events. He got personal-best leaps of 14.11 meters in the triple jump and 6.28 meters in the long jump. He also posted a 4.54 time in the 40-yard dash at football camp and was a member of the 4 × 100m and 4 × 200m relay squads.
He was recruited by Texas A&M as a wide receiver and eventually signed to play for the Aggies.
While attending Texas A&M University, Evans played for the Texas A&M Aggies football team from 2011 to 2013. After being redshirted as a freshman in 2011, he had 82 receptions for 1,105 yards and five touchdowns in 2012. He received freshman All-SEC honors from the league's coaches.
In the Alabama game during the 2013 season, Evans caught 7 passes for a school-record 279 yards. He received AT&T ESPN All-America Player of the Week honors. During the 2013 Auburn game, he broke his own record after he compiled 11 receptions for 287 yards and four touchdowns. As a sophomore in 2013, Evans was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection. On December 17, 2013, it was announced that Evans was selected to the 2013 AP All-America Team, First Team. Evans ended the 2013 season with 69 receptions for 1,394 yards and twelve touchdowns.
2014 NFL Draft
On January 2, 2014, Evans announced that he would forgo his final two seasons of his collegiate eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. He was taken as the seventh pick of the first round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, right behind Aggies teammate Jake Matthews. It was the first time Texas A&M had two top-7 draft picks in the same draft since John Kimbrough and Jim Thomason in 1941.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 3⁄4 in||231 lb||35 1⁄8 in||9 5⁄8 in||4.53 s||1.60 s||2.59 s||4.26 s||7.08 s||37.0 in||12 reps|
|All values from NFL combine|
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Mike Evans with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. He was the second wide receiver taken after Sammy Watkins was picked by the Buffalo Bills with the 4th selection. With Evans joining the Bucs, the team has one of the tallest wide receiver tandems in the league. With Evans and fellow starting wide receiver Vincent Jackson both standing at 6'5, some fans have dubbed the team "Dunkaneers" and by some the "Towers Of Terror".
On September 7, 2014, Evans made his official NFL debut against the Carolina Panthers at Raymond James Stadium. In the loss, Evans caught 5 passes for 37 yards. On September 14, 2014, Evans made 4 catches for 49 yards against the St. Louis Rams. On September 18, 2014, Evans had caught 4 passes for 52 yards against the Atlanta Falcons. On September 28, 2014, Evans caught his first NFL touchdown in a win against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field. On November 2, 2014, Evans had his first 100-yard game when he caught 7 passes for 124 yards and two touchdowns in a loss to the Cleveland Browns. On November 9, 2014, In the loss, he had 7 catches for 125 yards and a score against the Atlanta Falcons. On November 16, 2014, In the Bucs second win of the season over the Washington Redskins, Evans had his best game yet as a pro, catching seven passes for 209 yards and two touchdowns. He became the first rookie receiver to have three consecutive games of 100 yards and at least one touchdown since Randy Moss in 1998. He also became the youngest player in the history of the NFL to catch for 200 or more yards in one game. Evans is also the fifth rookie since the Super Bowl era to record 200 receiving yards and two touchdowns in a game, the last player was Anquan Boldin in 2003. He received NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his performance. On November 23, 2014, Evans caught his 8th touchdown of the season against the Chicago Bears. On December 7, 2014, Evans caught two touchdowns against the Detroit Lions. On December 14, 2014, Evans caught his 11th touchdown of the season against the Carolina Panthers. On December 28, 2014, Evans caught 5 passes for 54 yards and a touchdown against the New Orleans Saints.
He finished his rookie season with 68 receptions for 1,051 yards and 12 touchdowns, setting franchise records and becoming a part of the first pair of Buccaneers receivers (alongside veteran Vincent Jackson) to receive 1,000 in a single season together. In the 2014 Draft class, Evans, Odell Beckham Jr., and Kelvin Benjamin are the 13th, 14th, and 15th receivers to record over 1,000 receiving yards in their rookie season. Evans was ranked 19 in receiving yards and was 1 of 23 players to break 1,000 receiving yards. Evans was ranked 4th in receiving touchdowns and was 1 of 15 players to score 10 touchdowns.
On September 27, 2015, Evans caught 7 passes for 101 yards against the Houston Texans. Evans dropped 3 passes. On October 25, 2015, Evans caught 8 passes for a season-high 164 yards and a touchdown against the Washington Redskins. Evans caught a 40-yard touchdown pass. On November 8, 2015, Evans caught 8 passes for 150 yards against the New York Giants. Evans had 5 drops, tied for the most drops in a game since Brandon Jacobs in 2007. On November 15, 2015, Evans caught 8 passes for 126 yards against the Dallas Cowboys. Evans recorded a 68-yard reception. On November 22, 2015, Evans caught 4 passes for 63 yards and a touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles. On December 6, 2015, Evans caught 5 passes for 61 yards and a touchdown against the Atlanta Falcons. On December 17, 2015, Evans caught a season-high 9 passes for 157 yards against the St. Louis Rams. On January 3, 2016, Evans caught 4 passes for 99 yards against the Carolina Panthers in the season finale. Evans was given 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and was ejected from the game in the fourth quarter.
Evans built off of his strong rookie campaign with an impressive second year. Through 15 games, he racked up 1,206 yards and three touchdowns, with an average of 16.3 yards per catch. Among sophomore wide receivers, Evans was ranked 3rd in receiving yards (behind Odell Beckham Jr. and Allen Robinson). Evans was ranked 11th in the league in receiving yards, one of only 26 players to break 1,000 yards and one of 11 players to break 1,200 yards.
On September 11, 2016, Evans caught 5 passes for 99 yards and a touchdown against the Atlanta Falcons. Evans also grabbed a 45-yard touchdown pass. On September 18, 2016, Evans caught 6 passes for 70 yards and a touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals. Evans caught the only Buccaneer touchdown, a 19-yarder. On September 25, 2016, Evans caught 10 passes for 132 yards and a touchdown against the Los Angeles Rams. Evans became the first player in Buccaneers' history to catch a TD pass in three consecutive games to start a season. On October 10, 2016, Evans caught 6 passes for 89 yards and a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers. Evans' only touchdown was a 26-yard catch in the end zone. On October 23, 2016, Evans caught 8 passes for 96 yards and 2 touchdowns against the San Francisco 49ers. On November 3, 2016, Evans caught 11 passes for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns against the Atlanta Falcons. Evans caught a pass on the sidelines which was debated as the "catch of the year" at NFL.com. Evans suffered a helmet-to-helmet hit on that play and was placed on concussion protocol later in the game. On November 27, 2016, Evans caught 8 passes for 104 yards and 2 touchdowns against the Seattle Seahawks becoming the 4th player in NFL history to begin his career with 3 consecutive seasons of 1000 yards receiving, as well as the first receiver in franchise history to receive 2 touchdowns in the 1st quarter of a game.
|2014||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||15||15||68||1,051||15.5||56T||12||--||--|
|2015||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||15||14||74||1,206||16.3||68||3||1||1|
|2016||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||11||11||73||1,020||14.0||45T||10||--||--|
Buccaneers franchise records
- Most receiving touchdowns in a season - 12 (2014)
- Most receiving touchdowns by a rookie in a season - 12 (2014)
- "Mike Evans commits to A&M".
- "Hairopoulos: Tall and talented, Aggies' Mike Evans is Johnny Manziel's go-to receiver".
- Evans emerges as top target for Manziel, A&M
- Texas A&M football: Mike Evans showing Johnny Manziel not the Aggies' only big-time freshman
- "2012 SEC Football All-Freshman Team Announced".
- "ESPN All America".
- "2013 All-SEC Football Team Announced". SEC Digital Network. December 10, 2013.
- Mayer, Larry (February 25, 2014). "Some draft prospects have Bears' ties". Chicago Bears. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- TEXAS A&M WR EVANS DECLARES FOR 2014 NFL DRAFT
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Mike Evans No. 7 overall in the 2014 NFL draft
- "Aggies have a history of success in NFL draft".
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers Comeback Effort Falls Short Against Carolina Panthers". Skyway Shout Out. 2014-09-07. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers Fall to St. Louis Rams". Skyway Shout Out. 2014-09-14. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Perroni, Brian (2014-09-28). "Mike Evans scores first career touchdown". Gigem247. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Kiesel, Connor. "Rookie being a rookie: Bucs' Mike Evans not quite on point on rules breakdown". FOX Sports. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lose Fifth Straight". Skyway Shout Out. 2014-11-09. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Hanzus, Dan (2014-11-16). "Mike Evans dominant in Bucs' easy win over Redskins". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Daniels, David (2014-11-16). "Mike Evans channels Randy Moss as he torches Redskins' secondary". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Janes, Chelsea (2014-11-16). "Buccaneers' Mike Evans puts himself in rare company with 209-yard, two-touchdown breakout game". Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Yasinskas, Pat (2014-11-19). "Mike Evans wins NFC Offensive Player of Week". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Philipse, Sander (2014-11-23). "Watch Mike Evans destroy Kyle Fuller". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions handle Tampa Bay Buccaneers". FOX Sports. 2014-12-07. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers fall to backup Derek Anderson, Carolina Panthers for second time". FOX Sports. 2014-12-14. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Philipse, Sander (2014-12-28). "Evans, Jackson set records". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Rookie Wide Receivers, 1000 Yards - Fantasy Index". www.fantasyindex.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "NFL Stats: 2014-Receiving-Receiving Yards". www.nfl.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "NFL Stats: 2014-Receiving-Receiving Touchdowns". www.nfl.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Fowler, Jeremy (2015-09-27). "Kicker costs Bucs, Jameis Winston chance for win at Houston". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Mike Evans takes blame for the Week 3 loss to Texans". FOX Sports. 2015-09-27. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Smith, Scott (2015-10-25). "Bucs Fail to Finish in Loss to Redskins". Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- NFL (2015-10-25), Jameis Winston Bombs It to Mike Evans for a 40-Yard TD! | Buccaneers vs. Redskins | NFL, retrieved 2016-11-06
- Philipse, Sander (2015-11-08). "Mike Evans set a record for drops". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Astleford, Andrew (2015-11-05). "Mike Evans up, Jameis Winston down in Buccaneers' win". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Buccaneers Jameis Winston passes deep to Mike Evans for 68 yards". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Kania, Joe (2015-11-22). "5 Standouts from Buccaneers vs. Eagles". Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Jameis Winston connects with Mike Evans late to lift Tampa Bay Buccaneers past Atlanta Falcons". FOX Sports. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Philipse, Sander (2015-12-17). "Bucs can't come back from first-half collapse". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Hale, David (2016-01-03). "Bucs' Mike Evans on ejection: 'I guess ... they wanted to get me'". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "NFL Stats: 2015-Receiving-2nd year". www.nfl.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "NFL Stats: 2015-Receiving-Receiving Yards". www.nfl.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Buccaneers' Mike Evans: Goes for 99 yards, TD in Week 1 win". CBSSports.com. 2016-09-11. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- NFL (2016-09-11), Jameis Winston Bombs it to Mike Evans for a 45-Yard TD! | Buccaneers vs. Falcons | NFL, retrieved 2016-11-06
- Smith, Scott (2016-09-18). "Cards Deal Bucs Lopsided Loss". Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Philipse, Sander (2016-09-18). "Watch Mike Evans beat Patrick Peterson for a TD". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- "Rams weather delay, hold off Buccaneers 37-32". ESPN.com. 2016-09-25. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Kania, Joe (2016-09-25). "Buccaneers Defeat Panthers in Week 5". Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- NFL (2016-10-10), Cameron Brate's 38-Yard Grab & Mike Evans' 26-Yard TD Catch! | Buccaneers vs. Panthers | NFL, retrieved 2016-11-06
- Smith, Scott (2016-10-23). "Balanced Buccaneers Bury 49ers". Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Kania, Joe (2016-10-23). "5 Standouts from Buccaneers vs. 49ers". Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Philipse, Sander (2016-11-03). "Winston, Evans suffer injuries against Falcons". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Hanzus, Dan (2016-11-03). "Mike Evans made the catch of the year Thursday". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Cite web\url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000747226/article/buccaneers-stun-seahawks-climb-in-nfc-south-race|title=Buccaneers stun Seahawks, climb in NFC South race|date=2016-11-27|website=NFL.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike Evans (wide receiver).|