Merion Cricket Club
Merion Cricket Club
The "Main House," of brick and stone, replaced a wooden clubhouse that was destroyed by fire in September 1896.
|Location||Montgomery Avenue & Grays Lane, Haverford, Pennsylvania|
|Coordinates||40°0′56″N 75°17′53″W / 40.01556°N 75.29806°WCoordinates: 40°0′56″N 75°17′53″W / 40.01556°N 75.29806°W|
|Architect||Furness, Evans & Co.|
|Architectural style||Late Victorian/Colonial Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||87000759|
|Added to NRHP||February 27, 1987|
|Designated NHL||February 27, 1987|
Merion Cricket Club is a private club in Haverford, Pennsylvania, founded in 1865. The current clubhouse is its sixth, the last four having been designed by Philadelphia architect Frank Furness and his partner, Allen Evans, who was also a founder of the club.
The club was founded in October 1865 by William Montgomery and Marshall Ewing, and its first meeting held December 16, 1865. While there was some thought of converting into a baseball club due to a lack of a permanent facility, its first cricket match was held in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, May 19, 1866. From 1873 to 1892, the club occupied grounds in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, before moving to its present grounds in Haverford. The first tennis match was held in 1881; the first golf course was laid out in 1896, with other courses in 1912 and 1914.
The first clubhouse (1865–73) was an existing house in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, on land owned by Col. Owen Jones. The second (1873–80) was an industrial building in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, about a mile southeast of the current grounds. The third (1880–92), by Furness & Evans, on Cricket Avenue in Ardmore, was destroyed by fire in 1892. The fourth (1892–96), at the present location, although backing onto Montgomery Avenue, was destroyed by fire in January 1896. The fifth (1896), backing onto Grays Lane, was destroyed by fire before its completion. The sixth (and present) clubhouse was built to the same plan as the fifth, but in stone and brick. Alexander Cassatt, a vice-president of the Pennsylvania Railroad (later PRR president), paid for the fireproof clubhouse.
On the club grounds there are indoor and outdoor tennis courts, paddle tennis courts, squash courts, a bowling alley, dining facilities and a ballroom. Seasonally, the club has croquet and cricket events.
The club also fields a football (association football) team known as the Merion C.C. Football Club. The team competes annually for The Manheim Prize, the oldest amateur soccer trophy in the United States
Merion Golf Club
In 1896 members of the Merion Cricket Club founded the Merion Golf Club which has hosted the U.S. Open five times. The Merion Golf Club hosted the U.S. Open in 2013. In 1941, this became a separate club.
- Henry Scattergood playing at Merion (c. 1897)
- John Lester playing at Merion (c. 1897)
- Small Lester playing at Merion
- "The Cottage"
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Merion Cricket Club". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- History from The Merion Cricket Club Website.
- Melville, Tom (1998). The Tented Field: A History of Cricket in America. Popular Press. p. 125. ISBN 0-87972-770-5. Retrieved 24 August 2009.
- Ferree, Barr (1916). Yearbook of the Pennsylvania Society. New York: The Pennsylvania Society. p. 174.
- Richard Jones, ed., The First 300: The Amazing and Rich History of Lower Merion (Lower Merion Historical Society, 2000), pp. 222-23.
- Trenham, Peter C. "A Chronicle of the Philadelphia Section PGA and Golf in the Philadelphia Area". Trenham Golf History. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Merion Cricket Club.|
- Official website
- Merion Cricket Club at Historic American Buildings Survey
Germantown Cricket Club
| Succeeded by|