Mechanicsburg, Boone County, Indiana
Boone County's location in Indiana
Location in Boone County
|Coordinates: 40°09′35″N 86°28′52″W / 40.15972°N 86.48111°WCoordinates: 40°09′35″N 86°28′52″W / 40.15972°N 86.48111°W|
|Elevation||883 ft (269 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||438956|
Mechanicsburg was laid out in 1835. Many of the pioneer settlers were skilled mechanics, hence the name.
Mechanicsburg is located at 40°09′35″N 86°28′52″W / 40.15972°N 86.48111°W.
The town straddles Sugar Creek, where Indiana State Road 39 crosses the stream. About two thirds of the residences, and the town's only church, are south of the stream. There was a second bridge over Sugar Creek, which carried Burg Street, but this was demolished sometime between 1980 and 2000.
Mechanicsburg has one of the few remaining operational drive-in theaters, Mel's Drive-in (formerly the Lebanon-Frankfort Drive-in Theater).
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Mechanicsburg, Boone County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Early Life and Times in Boone County, Indiana. Carlon & Hollenbeck. 1887. p. 53.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 214. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
Here it supposedly remembers the manual skills of many early settlers...
- "Directions". M.E.L.S. at the Starlite Drive-In Theatre. Retrieved 28 August 2014.