Mass Gathering Medicine is a field of medicine that explores the health effects/risks of mass gatherings and the strategies that contribute positively to effective health services delivery during these events. . The reason for the development of the field of medicine gives the fact that mass gatherings generate a higher incidence of injury and illness, may be the subject to a catastrophic accident or attack with large numbers of injured or dead persons.
Mass Gathering Medicine is viewed as a niche field of prehospital care in emergency medicine at the University of British Columbia
- the weather,
- duration of the event,
- if the crowd moves,
- containment of the event (fenced/contained or not),
- availability of alcohol/drugs,
- the density of the crowd et al.,
- possibility for spreading of communicable diseases
- rapid access to the injured or ill patients,
- effective stabilizing and transporting injured or ill patients,
- on-site care for minor injuries and illnesses.
The Department of Global Alert and Response of the World Health Organization supports Member States hosting mass gatherings .
In 2015, This Is Life with Lisa Ling filmed an episode featuring mass-gathering medicine with event medical specialists Dr. Andrew Bazos and Connor Fitzpatrick of CrowdRx, Inc.
- Arbon P: Mass gathering medicine: A review of the evidence and future directions for research. Prehosp Didast Med 2007;22(2):131-135
- "Public Health Preparedness for Mass Gatherings". Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- Franaszek J:Medical care at mass gatherings. Ann Emerg Med 1986;15:60-61
- Thompson JM et al.:Level of medical care required for mass gatherings: The XV Winter Olympic Games in Calgary, Canada. Ann Emerg Med 1991;20(4):385-390
- Milsten AM et al.: Mass gathering medical care: A review of the literature. Prehosp Disaster Med 2002;17(3):151-162
- "Communicable disease alert and response for mass gatherings" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- De Lorenzo RA:Mass gathering medicine: A review. Prehosp Disaster Med 1997;12(1):68-72
- "Mass Gatherings and Public Health" (PDF). 2007. Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- http://sis.nlm.nih.gov/enviro/massgatherings.html Public Health Preparedness for Mass Gatherings