Marvel Comics Presents
|Marvel Comics Presents|
(vol. 1): Biweekly|
(vol. 1): Monthly
September 1988 - March 1995
September 2007 - August 2008
|Number of issues||
(vol. 1): 175|
(vol. 2): 12
Wolverine, Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, Weapon X, Shang-Chi, Cyclops
Vanguard, Weapon Omega
John Buscema, Tom Sutton, Tom Grindberg, Dave Cockrum, Al Milgrom, Ron Lim, Rick Leonardi, Rich Buckler, Paul Gulacy, Erik Larsen, Javier Saltares, Mark Texeira, Kelley Jones, Barry Windsor-Smith, Sam Kieth, Steve Lightle, Dwayne Turner
Dave Wilkins, Stuart Immonen, Clayton Henry, Khoi Pham, Mico Suayan, Andrea DiVito, Staz Johnson, Ed McGuinness, Lee Weeks, Marco Checchetto
|Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 1||ISBN 0785118268|
|Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 2||ISBN 0785118837|
|Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 3||ISBN 0785120653|
|Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 4||ISBN 0785120661|
|Wolverine: Weapon X||ISBN 078512327X|
|Marvel Comics Presents: Weapon Omega||ISBN 0785134158|
The first volume was released on a biweekly basis and lasted for 175 issues. Each issue had four eight-page stories, of which generally two were episodes in ongoing serials and two were one-episode stories. The one-episode stories generally featured obscure or little-seen characters from the Marvel universe, and often featured work by creators previously unpublished in the comics field, including Scott Lobdell (later X-Men Writer) who started work under the editorship of Tom DeFalco.
The original plan was for the lead story to feature different members of the X-Men in solo adventures lasting between eight and ten episodes. The first ten issues featured Wolverine; others featured were Colossus, Cyclops, Havok, and Excalibur. From issue 39 onwards, Wolverine was featured in the series until issue #121, when the character was phased out of the series. Particularly notable was "Weapon X" in issues #72-84, which revealed Wolverine's origin, with story and art by Barry Windsor-Smith.
Later Ghost Rider was added to the series as "co-lead" feature, and the book adopted a "flip-book" format, thereby allowing each of the two characters cover billing. Eventually other characters, such as Man-Thing and Lunatik, got cover billing.
Several of the Wolverine storylines have since been collected and reprinted in trade paperback format. The first volume features Wolverine's first adventures in Madripoor, a fictional island that became Wolverine's second home during the late 1980s, as well as the "introduction" of Tyger Tiger.
Other notable highlights include the first appearance of Cyber (Issue 85, by Peter David and Sam Kieth), the first appearance of Damage Control (Issue 19), a Looney Tunes Spoof featuring Excalibur (issues 31- 38), an Incredible Hulk versus Hulk Hogan wrestling match (issue 45), and the first appearance of Nth Man: The Ultimate Ninja (Issue 25).
In 2007 the anthology series returned, also including work by creators previously unpublished in the comics field. The series' editors were Warren Simons, Nick Lowe, Andy Schmidt, and John Barber. The series hosted two 12-part stories (The Vanguard super-team and Weapon Omega) and a host of short single to five-part stories involving a variety of characters within the Marvel Universe. The series was cancelled with issue 12.
- Marvel Comics Presents Vol. 1 #1-175
- Marvel Comics Presents Vol. 2 #1-12
- Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 1 (Vol. 1 #1-10)
- Colossus: God's Country (Vol. 1 #10-17)
- Cyclops: Retribution (Vol.1 #17-24)
- Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 2 (Vol. 1 #39-50)
- Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 3 (Vol. 1 #51-61)
- Marvel Comics Presents: Wolverine Vol. 4 (Vol. 1 #62-71)
- Wolverine: Weapon X (Vol. 1 #72-84)
- Wolverine: Blood Hungry (Vol. 1 #85-92)
- Wolverine: Prehistory (Vol. 1 #93-98)
- Wolverine: Typhoid's Kiss (Vol. 1 #109-116)
- Daredevil: Typhoid's Kiss (Vol. 1 #109-116,123-130, 150-151)
- Iron Fist: Book of Changes (Vol. 1 #111, 113-118, 125-137, 140-141)
- Wolverine Vs the Marvel Universe (Vol. 1 #117-122)
- Patsy Walker: Hellcat (Vol. 2 #1-4)
- Marvel Comics Presents: Weapon Omega (Vol. 2 #1-12)
- Marvel Comics Presents (vol. 1) at the Comic Book DB
- Marvel Comics Presents (vol. 2) at the Comic Book DB