Irglová performing in 2014
28 February 1988|
Valašské Meziříčí, Czech Republic
|Genres||Folk rock, folk, indie pop, acoustic rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar, mandolin|
Markéta Irglová (Czech pronunciation: [ˈmarkɛːta ˈɪrɡlovaː]) (born 28 February 1988, in Valašské Meziříčí, Czechoslovakia now Czech Republic) is a Czech singer-songwriter, musician and actress. She won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly" at the 80th ceremony, which was co-written with Glen Hansard.
Irglová was a member of the band The Swell Season with Glen Hansard. The band released its eponymous album on Overcoat Recordings in 2006. In 2007, Irglová co-starred in the indie film Once. Irglová co-wrote many of the songs for the film including "Falling Slowly", which received an Academy Award for Best Original Song. The film won the World Cinema Audience Award for a dramatic film at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. Irglová appeared on the 2007 I'm Not There soundtrack with the Swell Season's version of Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere".
Irglová met Glen Hansard in 2001 when she was 13 years old. Her father organized a music festival in the Czech Republic and booked The Frames. Hansard played a large part not only in her development as an artist and songwriter but also in launching her career. Although they met years earlier, her romantic relationship with Hansard began during the making of the film Once and ended in 2009. Irglová married Tim Iseler in 2011 and announced their divorce in 2012. She now resides in Reykjavik, Iceland, with her Icelandic partner Sturla Mio Þórisson and their daughter, Árveig (born November 2013), and son, Eyvindur (born 8 August 2015).
Her children's names meaning "Defender who is always strong" (Eyvindur Högni) a "Strong Eagle" (Árveig).
with The Swell Season
- Once (2007)
- The Swell Season (2011)
- Live from the Artists Den: The Swell Season (Season 1, Episode 8, 28 Feb. 2008)
- The Simpsons episode "In the Name of the Grandfather" (2009)
Awards and nominations
- Academy Award 2008 Achievement in Music Written for a Motion Picture (Original Song) – "Falling Slowly" from Once
- Critics' Choice Award 2008 Best Original Song – "Falling Slowly" from Once
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award 2008 Best Original Score – for Once
- Grammy Award 2008 (50th Annual Grammy Awards) Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media – "Falling Slowly" from Once
- Grammy Award 2008 (50th Annual Grammy Awards) Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media – Once
- "About Marketa Irglova". Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "WorldFilm.com". Worldfilm.about.com. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Vedder, Sonic Youth, Tweedy Do Dylan For Soundtrack". Billboard. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- Jamie diamond. "Life Imitating Film". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Markéta Irglová and Marek Irgl: Daughter and father on her Oscar success and much more". Radio Prague. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "'Once' a Hero". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- Jamie diamond (24 February 2008). "Life imitating art". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 February 2008.
- Bray, Allison (26 January 2009). "falling slowly ... out of love". The Irish Independent. Retrieved 15 April 2011.
- "Zpěvačka Markéta Irglová se po roce rozvádí". Týden.cz. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "Markéta Irglová porodila na Islandu holčičku, jméno neprozradila". iDnes.cz. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Markéta Irglová.|