Mark Wilson (businessman)
Mark Andrew Wilson|
|Education||University of Waikato|
|Salary||GBP £2.6 million (total compensation)|
|Title||Chief Executive, Aviva|
Mark Andrew Wilson (born August 1966) is a New Zealand businessman, who has been the chief executive officer (CEO) of Aviva since 1 January 2013.
Educated at the University of Waikato, Wilson joined National Mutual, an insurance business based in New Zealand in 1987 and progressed through the management structure. He became chief executive of AXA South East Asia in 2001, chief executive of AXA Hong Kong in 2003 and chief executive of AIA in March 2009. He went on to become chief executive officer (CEO) of Aviva on 1 January 2013.
Wilson has written about various issues including putting the brakes on compensation culture, tackling Britain's retirement savings inertia and ensuring everyone plays their part to keep the flood threat at bay.
On 25 September 2015 Wilson joined 193 world leaders to commit to the Sustainable Development Goals at the United Nations in New York. In a rare opportunity for a private sector CEO, Wilson addressed a UN General Assembly plenary session on behalf of the global business community, calling for business and governments to work together to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Wilson was named in the 2016 Debrett’s list of Britain’s 500 most influential people, a group of individuals who have influenced or made a difference to British society. He was included in this year’s list for his role in returning the British insurer to profit and finalising the £5.6bn acquisition of Friends Life, the largest takeover in the insurance sector in nearly 15 years. The merger turned Aviva into one of the UK’s largest investors managing £300bn-plus in assets.
- "Executive Profile* Mark Andrew Wilson". bloomberg. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Mark Andrew Wilson". Business Week. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Aviva appoints Mark Wilson chief executive – but no 'golden hello". The Guardian. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "'We need to put the brakes on compensation culture'". The Telegraph. 27 September 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Why we must tackle Britain's retirement savings inertia". Daily Mail. 27 April 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Everyone must play their part to keep the flood threat at bay". The Telegraph. 5 February 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson speaks at the United Nations. YouTube. 1 October 2015. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Kiwi gives rare address to UN assembly". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Aviva calls on United Nations to agree sustainable finance plan". Reuters UK. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "Mark Wilson". Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Aviva Agrees £5bn Deal To Buy Friends Life". Sky News. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Julia Kollewe. "Aviva and Friends Life report forecast-beating annual profits ahead of takeover". the Guardian. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Business big shot: Mark Wilson". The Times. Retrieved 4 February 2016.