St. Gertrudis church in Machelen
Location in Belgium
|Coordinates: 50°55′N 04°26′E / 50.917°N 4.433°ECoordinates: 50°55′N 04°26′E / 50.917°N 4.433°E|
|• Mayor||Jean-Pierre De Groef (sp.a)|
|• Governing party/ies||sp.a, VLD, Spirit|
|• Total||11.59 km2 (4.47 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
|Postal codes||1830, 1831|
Machelen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmɑxələ(n)]) is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. The municipality comprises the towns of Diegem and Machelen proper. On 1 January 2006 Machelen had a total population of 12,500. The total area is 11.59 km² which gives a population density of 1,078 inhabitants per km².
Machelen may have been the birthplace of composer Cypriano de Rore.
Brussels Airlines has its corporate headquarters in the b.house on the grounds of Brussels Airport and in Diegem, Machelen. Brussels Airlines formed in 2006 as a result of a merger between SN Brussels and Virgin Express.
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2016 (XLS; 397 KB)
- "bedrijf.jpg." Machelen. Retrieved on 25 April 2010.
- "Corp – Contact Us." Brussels Airlines. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "Sabena reborn: SN Brussels-Virgin Express merger 'set to take former Belgian flag carrier brand'." Flight Global. 27 October 2006. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- Media related to Machelen at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website – Only available in Dutch