|Hubs||Luxembourg Findel Airport|
|Focus cities||Saarbrücken Airport|
|Frequent-flyer program||Lufthansa Miles & More|
|Airport lounge||The Lounge by Luxair|
|Company slogan||Fly in good company|
|Key people||Adrien Ney, CEO|
Luxair, legally Luxair S.A., Société Luxembourgeoise de Navigation Aérienne, is the flag carrier airline of Luxembourg with its headquarters and homebase at Luxembourg Findel Airport in Sandweiler. It operates scheduled services to destinations in Europe, North Africa, the Mediterranean and Middle East with additional charter and seasonal services. It is Luxembourg's only passenger-carrying airline.
From 1964 to 1969, Luxair operated three Lockheed L-1649A Starliner aircraft in a co-operative agreement with Trek Airways, from Luxembourg to Johannesburg. The Starliners were painted in Luxair livery and were registered in Luxembourg.
London City Airport during 2008 by Flight on Time, based on CAA statistics. In 2011 Luxair carried 1,302,771 passengers.In 2009, the airline was awarded as the most punctual scheduled operator at
In July 2015, Luxair's minority shareholder Lufthansa announced it would sell its 13 percent stake in the airline that it had held since 1993. The government of Luxembourg was named as the preferred buyer. In November 2015, the sale was finalized when Lufthansa sold its entire stake to the state of Luxembourg. Luxair also announced it would stop flying its route to Frankfurt Airport previously operated on a codeshare with Lufthansa as the latter started the same route itself. Luxair is still part of the Lufthansa frequent flyer program Miles & More.
As of November 2015, after Lufthansa sold its shares, the airline is owned by the State of Luxembourg (52.04%), Banque et Caisse d'Épargne de l'État (21.81%), Banque Internationale à Luxembourg (13.14%), the Luxair Group and others (13.11%). In total, the State of Luxembourg owns 74.98% of the company through various state-owned corporations and through its holding of 10% of Banque Internationale à Luxembourg.
The key trends for Luxair Group over recent years are shown below (as at year ending 31 December):
Luxair has codeshare agreements with the following airlines:
|Bombardier Dash 8 Q400||9||1||76|
|Embraer ERJ 145||2||—||49||to be phased out in October 2016|
Accidents and incidents
- On 22 December 1969, a Vickers Viscount (registration LX-LGC) arriving from Frankfurt Airport, Germany, hit a snowbank on the runway while landing at Luxembourg Findel Airport in severe weather. No passengers were killed, but the aircraft was damaged beyond repair. It was scrapped in May 1970.
- On 6 November 2002, Luxair Flight 9642, a Fokker 50 (registration LX-LGB) incoming from Berlin, Germany, crashed in a field near the village of Niederanven during its final approach to Luxembourg Findel Airport. Twenty passengers and two crew-members died, including artist Michel Majerus. Only the pilot in command and one passenger survived. This is the only fatal accident in Luxair's history.
- On 30 September 2015, Luxair Flight 9562, operated by a Bombardier Q400, was taking off from Saarbrücken Airport when the first officer retracted the landing gear prior to the aircraft lifting off. The aircraft collapsed onto its belly and came to a stop on the runway. The aircraft was damaged beyond repair and Luxair ordered a replacement Q400 to be delivered in August 2016.
- "Luxemburg Business Lounge - Luxair.lu". Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Legal." Luxair. Retrieved on 7 February 2011. "Luxair S.A. LuxairGroup Luxembourg Airport L-2987 Luxembourg."
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 2007-04-03. p. 108.
- Zoggavia.com – Luxair, Retrieved 6 November 2010
- "FLIGHTONTIME.info - 2008 Awards". Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "LuxairGroup - Corporate Site". Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- airliners.de - "Lufthansa wants to get rid of Luxair shares" (German) 6 July 2015
- aero.de - Lufthansa macht Luxair-Anteile zu Geld ("Lufthansa cashes in Luxair shares") (German) 17 November 2015
- airlineroute.net - Luxair Ends Frankfurt Service from Dec 2015 11 August 2015
- "Financial Report 2010". Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Annual Report 2011". Retrieved 6 December 2012.
- "Annual Report 2012". Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Annual Report 2013". Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- "Annual Report 2014". Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Profile on Luxair". CAPA. Centre for Aviation. Archived from the original on 2016-10-30. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- "Relevé luxembourgeois des immatriculations" [List of Luxembourgeois registrations] (PDF) (in French). Direction de l’Aviation Civile (Directorate of Civil Aviation). 11 July 2016. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Dash 8 statt Embraer 145: Luxair erneuert die Flotte - aeroTELEGRAPH". aeroTELEGRAPH. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "World Airlines 1970 - Flight Archive". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- FOCUS Online (24 April 2015). "Airline-Sicherheit - Fliegen - Reisen". FOCUS Online. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Luxair-Maschinn brécht Start of a kënnt um Bauch un d'Halen" (in Luxembourgish). RTL Télé Lëtzebuerg. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
Media related to Luxair at Wikimedia Commons