Loyola School (New York City)
Challenge. Inspire. Transform.
980 Park Avenue|
New York City (Upper East Side)
Manhattan, New York 10028, USA
|Coordinates||40°46′43″N 73°57′31.5″W / 40.77861°N 73.958750°WCoordinates: 40°46′43″N 73°57′31.5″W / 40.77861°N 73.958750°W|
|Patron saint(s)||Ignatius of Loyola|
|President||Mr. Tony Oroszlany|
|Principal||Dr. Kristin Ross Cully|
|Campus||Urban, Historic Place|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Athletics conference||New York City Athletic League|
|Accreditation||New York State Association of Independent Schools|
|Dean of Academics||Ms. Samantha Lehn|
|Dean of Students||Ms. Kristin Cupillari|
|Admissions||Director, Mr. Gabe Rotman|
|Athletics||Director, Mr. Frederick M. Agnostakis|
|Technology||Director, Mr. James Richroath|
|Advancement||Vice President, Ms.Samantha Hanley|
Loyola School, located on 83rd Street and Park Avenue, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Loyola School is a independent Jesuit high school on the Upper East Side of New York City, founded in 1900 by the Society of Jesus. Originally a Roman Catholic boys school, Loyola became coeducational in 1973, becoming the only Jesuit co-ed college preparatory high school in the Tri-State Region. With a student enrollment of two hundred, the average class size of fifteen students promotes personal attention and individual participation. Loyola education fosters lifelong learning and aims to produce graduates who are academically excellent, open to growth, religious, loving, and committed to doing justice in service to others. The school is located two city blocks east of Central Park and Museum Mile on 83rd Street and Park Avenue in Manhattan. St. Ignatius Church is in the same complex and is used for various school functions. The church is listed as a NYC landmark and the complex is listed as a National Historic Place. St. Ignatius Loyola School is an elementary school that also shares the complex but there is no official link between the schools.
The Rev. Robert Fulton, S.J., (1826–1895), eleventh pastor (from 1880) of St. Lawrence O'Toole (the original parish name of St. Ignatius Loyola), purchased the northwest corner of Park Avenue and 83rd Street (in the Yorkville neighborhood) adjacent to his church. The purchase price was $7,500.00. Upon the church's rebuilding and re-dedication, the Society of Jesus strengthened their ties to this parish by founding the school, which was encouraged by the Dominicans at St. Vincent Ferrer and the Paulist Fathers at St. Paul the Apostle. Ground was broken for the new school in February 1899. The school opened to students in October 1900 with classes held in the nearby priests' residence. After various building material strikes delayed completion, the six-story Renaissance Revival style steel-framed school opened on December 17, 1900, and was formally dedicated by Michael A. Corrigan, Archbishop of New York, on February 11, 1901.
The New York Herald reviewed the new "Early Renaissance Type" building, reporting that "the building cost about $125,000; and the property, taken with the lot on which it is located, represents an expenditure of over $200,000. The exterior of the building is constructed entirely of Ohio sandstone, with cornices, and a flambeau with coat of arms just over the entrance.... It is of the most advanced fireproof construction.... Altogether the building represents the highest degree of architectural excellence as applied to schools."
The Latin inscription on the first floor chapel bow's blind window panel (with segmental pediment) of the Park Avenue facade reads "SANCT IGNATIO / DE LOYOLA / PATRI LEGIFERO / SOCIETATIS JESV / QVI VBICVMQVE / GENTIVM / IN SPEM RELLIGIONIS / ET CIVITATIS / ADOLESCENTES MORBIBUS / ET BONIS ARTIBVS / IMBVIT / AEDES HAE / DEDICANTVR" which translates: "To Saint Ignatius Loyola / Founder of the Society of Jesus / who for the good of Church and State / everywhere / has stored the minds of youth / with virtue and learning / these buildings are dedicated." The chapel was decorated by Brother Francis C. Schroen, S.J., (1857–1924), who had previously been a designer at the Jesuit Georgetown University. The stained glass was by Louis C. Tiffany and above Schroen's white marble altar was a canopied statue of Our Lady of Lourdes by the New York-sculptor Joseph Sibbel.
The six-story gymnasium and rectory on 43–63 E 83rd Street was built 1953 to designs by architects Eggers & Higgins of 100 E 42nd Street, New York City, at a reported cost of $800,000. The five-story extension (1954) at 39–41 E 83rd Street was completed by the same architects at a reported cost of $290,000.
- Michael Joseph Armstrong, vice president of electronic trading, Cantor Fitzgerald; died on September 11, 2001
- Kevin Raymond Crotty, managing director, Sandler O'Neill and Partners; died on September 11, 2001
- Thomas Cullen, FDNY firefighter; died on September 11, 2001
- Vince Curatola, actor
- Drea de Matteo, actress
- Jim Dwyer, Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist
- Walter Egan, rock musician
- Wellington Mara, former owner, New York Giants NFL team
- Joseph Patrick Shea, partner and senior executive managing director, Cantor Fitzgerald; died on September 11, 2001
- Horace Stoneham, former owner, New York/San Francisco Giants MLB team
Headmasters and Principals of Loyola School
Presidents of Loyola School
- School History
- Saint Ignatius Loyola School – New York City
- Welcome to CES-MSA Middle States Association (CES-MSA)
- Robert F. Meade and Joann M. Kusk.The Centennial History of Loyola School:1900–2000 (New York: [self-published], 2000), p.2-3, 8–9
- "Blessing a New School." The Irish-American. (Feb 16, 1901), cited in Robert F. Meade and Joann M. Kusk.The Centennial History of Loyola School:1900–2000 (New York: [self-published], 2000), p.9
- "New Loyola School a Model of Architecture of Its Type: Automatic Elevators and Indoor Playgrounds Features o a Splendid Home for Students in This City; Cost is about $125,000." New York Herald (October 23, 1901), cited in Robert F. Meade and Joann M. Kusk.The Centennial History of Loyola School:1900–2000 (New York: [self-published], 2000), p.vii
- Robert F. Meade and Joann M. Kusk.The Centennial History of Loyola School:1900–2000 (New York: [self-published], 2000), iv
- Robert F. Meade and Joann M. Kusk.The Centennial History of Loyola School:1900–2000 (New York: [self-published], 2000), p.4-5
- Office for Metropolitan History, "Manhattan NB Database 1900–1986," (accessed Feb 2010)
- Michael's Biography michaeljarmstrong.com
- Crotty ‘80 was star hoopster TheDartmouth.com
- Lives Remembered SILive.com
- Drea de Matteo Picture, Profile, Gossip, and News CelebrityWonder.com
- Wellington Mara
- Paid Notice: Deaths SHEA, JOSEPH PATRICK The New York Times
- Horace C. Stoneham, 86, Owner Who Moved Giants to West Coast The New York Times
- Robert F. Meade and Joann M. Kusk.The Centennial History of Loyola School:1900–2000 (New York: [self-published], 2000), p.vii
- "First Day for Dr. Ross and Ms. Lehn". Loyola School. July 1, 2014. Retrieved July 26, 2014.