Néel in 1970
Louis Eugène Félix Néel|
22 November 1904
17 November 2000 95) (aged|
|Alma mater||École Normale Supérieure and University of Strasbourg|
Louis Eugène Félix Néel ForMemRS (22 November 1904 – 17 November 2000) was a French physicist born in Lyon. He studied at the Lycée du Parc in Lyon and was accepted at the École Normale Supérieure in Paris. He obtained the degree of Doctor of Science at the University of Strasbourg. He was corecipient (with the Swedish astrophysicist Hannes Alfvén) of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1970 for his pioneering studies of the magnetic properties of solids. His contributions to solid state physics have found numerous useful applications, particularly in the development of improved computer memory units. About 1930 he suggested that a new form of magnetic behavior might exist; called antiferromagnetism, as opposed to ferromagnetism. Above a certain temperature (the Néel temperature) this behaviour stops. Néel pointed out (1948) that materials could also exist showing ferrimagnetism. Néel has also given an explanation of the weak magnetism of certain rocks, making possible the study of the history of Earth's magnetic field.
Awards and honours
Néel received numerous awards and honours for his work including:
- Hughes Prize of the Académie des sciences (1935)
- Félix Robin Prize of the Société française de physique (1938)
- André Blondel Medal (1948)
- Grand prix du conseil de l’association « Au service de la pensée française » (1949)
- Holweck Prize (1952)
- Three Physicists Prize (1963)
- Gold Medal of CNRS (1965)
- Elected Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 1966
- Nobel Prize in Physics (1970)
- Great Gold Medal of l’Électronique (1971)
- Great Gold Medal of the Société d’encouragement pour la recherche et l’invention (1973)
- Founding member of the World Cultural Council (1981).
Owing to his involvement in national defense, particularly through research in the protection of warships by demagnetization against magnetic mines, he received numerous distinctions:
- Légion d'honneur:
- Knight (for exceptional military services) (1940)
- Officer (1951)
- Grand Officier de la Légion d'honneur (1966)
- Grand Cross (1974)
- Croix de Guerre with Palms (1940)
- Commander of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques (1957)
- Knight of the Social Order of Merit (1963)
- Grand Cross of the National Order of Merit (1972)
- Friedel, J.; Averbuch, P. (1 December 2003). "Louis Eugène Félix Néel. 22 November 1904 – 17 November 2000". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 49: 367–384. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2003.0021.
- "The Nobel Prize in Physics 1970". The Nobel Foundation. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Néel, L. (3 December 1971). "Magnetism and Local Molecular Field". Science. 174 (4013): 985–992. Bibcode:1971Sci...174..985N. doi:10.1126/science.174.4013.985. PMID 17757022.
- Néel, Louis (1948). "Magnetic Properties of Ferrites: Ferrimagnetism and Antiferromagnetism". Ann. Phys.-Paris. 3: 137–198.
- Néel, Louis (1 April 1955). "Some theoretical aspects of rock-magnetism". Advances in Physics. 4 (14): 191–243. Bibcode:1955AdPhy...4..191N. doi:10.1080/00018735500101204.
- Barbara, B.; Lacroix, Claudine (2000). "Retrospective in Science: Louis Neel (1904–2000)". Science. 291 (5506): 1000. doi:10.1126/science.1059052. PMID 11232560.
- Coey, Michael (2001). "Obituary: Louis Néel (1904–2000)". Nature. 409 (6818): 302–302. doi:10.1038/35053274.
- Coey, J. M. D. (2003). "Louis Néel: Retrospective (invited)". Journal of Applied Physics. 93 (10): 8224–8229. Bibcode:2003JAP....93.8224C. doi:10.1063/1.1557815.
- Dunlop, David J. (2003). "Partial thermoremanent magnetization: Louis Néel's legacy in rock magnetism (invited)". Journal of Applied Physics. 93 (10): 8236–8240. Bibcode:2003JAP....93.8236D. doi:10.1063/1.1558640.
- "Louis Néel – Biography". Nobel Lectures, Physics 1963–1970. Elsevier Publishing Company.
- Néel, Louis (1991). Un siècle de physique. Paris: Jacob. ISBN 978-2-7381-0140-2.
- "Louis Néel, un siècle de science à Grenoble". 2004. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- Kurti, Nicholas, ed. (1988). Selected works of Louis Néel. New York: Gordon and Breach. ISBN 978-2-88124-300-4.
- "About Us". World Cultural Council. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis Néel.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Louis Néel|