Llanidan shown within Anglesey
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|UK Parliament||Ynys Môn|
|Welsh Assembly||Ynys Môn|
Llanidan is a parish in south-west Anglesey, Wales which includes the village of Brynsiencyn. The parish is along the Menai Strait, about 4 miles north-east of Caernarfon (across the strait). The parish church of St Nidans is near the A4080 highway, a little to the east of Brynsiencyn. The ruins of an earlier parish church survive.
It has been suggested that here the Roman general Suetonius landed in 60 AD, and again in 78 AD by Agricola, trying to pacify the Ordovices of north-west Wales and Anglesey, at a spot known as Bryn Beddau, ("The Hill of Graves" in Welsh).
Amongst the notable people associated with the parish are Henry Rowlands, who was the rector of Llanidan when he published Mona Antiqua Restaurata in 1723, and the industrialist Thomas Williams of Llanidan, who lived in Plas Llanidan. Also, Carwyn Williams lived here for a period of time.
Near Brynsiencyn is the Anglesey Sea Zoo.
Brynsiencyn is a small village, housing a few hundred people. It has a post office, shop, kebab house and pub. There is also a school and a large chapel.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Brynsiencyn.|
- "Community population 2011". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Llanidan/index.html Genuki transcription from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1868.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 20 May 2015.