Liteyny Avenue

Coordinates: 59°56′27″N 30°20′54″E / 59.9408°N 30.3483°E / 59.9408; 30.3483

Liteyny Avenue in
St. Petersburg

Liteyny Avenue (Russian: Лите́йный проспе́кт, Liteyny Prospekt) is a wide avenue in the Central District of Saint Petersburg, Russia. The avenue runs from Liteyny Bridge to Nevsky Avenue.

The avenue originated in 1738 when the forest was cleared to make a trail from Nevsky Prospekt to a foundry (est. 1711) at the banks of Neva River. The Russian word "liteyny" means "metal casting" as an adjective, hence the street name.

Soon after the October Revolution, the avenue was named Prospekt Volodarskogo after the Russian revolutionary V. Volodarsky. In 1944, the historic name was restored.

The avenue passes by several notable locations including the Big House (Liteyny 4), the 19th-century Varvara Dolgoruky mansion (Liteyny 14), Muruzi House with Joseph Brodsky apartment (Liteyny 24), Nekrasov Museum (Liteyny 36), Zinaida Yusupova mansion (Liteyny 42), Mariinsky Hospital (Liteyny 56).

Wikimedia Commons has media related to Liteyny Prospekt.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/17/2014. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.