List of sporting venues with a highest attendance of 100,000 or more
The following is an incomplete list of sports venues that currently have or once had a highest attendance of 100,000 people or more. Included are also those venues which have closed, been refurbished, or have been proposed.
This list is for those venues that are currently open for use and have a permanent structure (open venues such as for marathons are not considered). Their highest attendance may have occurred at a time when the configuration of venue was different, through the use of standing sections, or the use of infield areas. In the case of AT&T Stadium, the highest attendance was recorded for a basketball game, which used field-level seating not available for the venue's standard American football configuration. The largest sporting venue in the world, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, has a permanent seating capacity for more than 257,000 people and infield seating that raises capacity to an approximate 400,000.
|Rank||Venue name||Highest attendance||Location||Current seating capacity||Use|
|2||Ascot Racecourse||280,000||Ascot, United Kingdom||200,000||Horse Racing|
|3||Circuit de la Sarthe||263,500||Le Mans, France||100,000||Motor racing|
|1||Indianapolis Motor Speedway||250,000||Speedway, Indiana, United States||257,325||Motor racing|
|4||Strahov Stadium||250,000||Prague, Czech Republic||100,000||Concerts, Exhibitions, Football, Futsal, Gymnastics and Motor racing|
|5||Tokyo Racecourse||223,000||Tokyo, Japan||13,750||Horse racing|
|6||Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez||221,011||Mexico City, Mexico||100,000||Motor racing|
|7||Texas Motor Speedway||212,585||Fort Worth, Texas, United States||138,122||Motor racing|
|8||Aintree Racecourse||200,000-300,000||Aintree, England||75,000||Horse racing|
|Badminton Park||200,000||Badminton, England||200,000||Eventing|
|Shanghai International Circuit||200,000||Shanghai, China||200,000||Motor racing|
|11||Estádio do Maracanã||199,854||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||78,838||Football|
|12||Talladega Superspeedway||175,000||Talladega, Alabama, United States||175,000||Motor racing|
|13||Daytona International Speedway||167,785||Daytona Beach, Florida, United States||167,785||Motor racing|
|14||Charlotte Motor Speedway||167,000||Concord, North Carolina, United States||167,000||Motor racing|
|15||Nakayama Racecourse||165,676||Chiba, Japan||165,676||Horse racing|
|16||Bristol Motor Speedway||165,000||Bristol, Tennessee, United States||165,000||Motor racing|
|17||Churchill Downs||164,858||Louisville, Kentucky, United States||51,000||Horse racing|
|18||Las Vegas Motor Speedway||156,000||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||142,000||Motor racing|
|19||Battle at Bristol||156,900||Bristol, Tennessee, United States||165,000||College Football|
|19||Suzuka Circuit||155,000||Suzuka, Japan||155,000||Motor racing|
|Istanbul Park||155,000||Istanbul, Turkey||155,000||Motor racing|
|21||Südschleife||150,000||Nürburg, Germany||150,000||Motor racing|
|Belmont Park||150,000||Elmont, New York, United States||33,000||Horse racing|
|Rungrado 1st of May Stadium||150,000||Pyongyang, North Korea||114,000||Football|
|24||Hampden Park||149,547||Glasgow, Scotland||51,866||Football|
|25||Holmenkollbakken||143,000||Oslo, Norway||50,000||Ski jumping hill|
|26||Circuit de Catalunya||140,000||Montmeló, Spain||140,000||Motor racing|
|Fuji Speedway||140,000||Oyama, Japan||140,000||Motor racing|
|28||Hanshin Racecourse||139,877||Hyogo, Japan||12,603||Horse racing|
|29||Estádio do Morumbi||138,032||São Paulo, Brazil||66,795||Football|
|30||Michigan International Speedway||137,000||Brooklyn, Michigan, United States||137,243||Motor racing|
|Autodromo Nazionale Monza||137,000||Monza, Italy||137,000||Motor racing|
|31||Estadio Azteca||136,274||Mexico City, Mexico||105,000||Football and Boxing|
|31||Pimlico Race Course||135,256||Baltimore, Maryland, United States||43,000||Horse racing|
|32||Korea International Circuit||135,000||Yeongam, South Korea||135,000||Motor racing|
|Dover International Speedway||135,000||Dover, Delaware, United States||95,500||Motor racing and horse racing|
|34||Mineirão||132,834||Belo Horizonte, Brazil||62,547||Football|
|35||Salt Lake Stadium||131,000||Kolkata, India||68,000||Football|
|36||Flemington Racecourse||130,000||Melbourne, Australia||130,000||Horse racing|
|Melbourne Cricket Ground||130,000||Melbourne, Australia||100,024||Cricket, Australian rules football|
|Sepang International Circuit||130,000||Sepang, Malaysia||130,000||Motor racing|
|40||Azadi Stadium||128,000||Tehran, Iran||90,000||Football|
|Silverstone Circuit||140,000||Silverstone, England||140,000||Motor racing|
|San Siro||125,000||Milan, Italy||82,955||Football|
|Atlanta Motor Speedway||125,000||Hampton, Georgia, United States||125,000||Motor racing|
|45||Cairo International Stadium||120,480||Cairo, Egypt||74,100||Football|
|46||Crystal Palace National Sports Centre||120,028||London, England||24,000||Football|
|46||Soldier Field||120,000||Chicago, Illinois, United States||61,000||American football|
|Buddh International Circuit||120,000||Greater Noida, India||120,000||Motor racing|
|Eden Gardens||120,000||Kolkata, India||88,000||Cricket|
|Kyoto Racecourse||120,000||Kyoto, Japan||28,000||Horse racing|
|Camp Nou||120,000||Barcelona, Spain||98,722||Football|
|Santiago Bernabéu Stadium||120,000||Madrid, Spain||80,400||Football|
|Hockenheimring||120,000||Hockenheim, Germany||120,000||Motor racing|
|EuroSpeedway Lausitz||120,000||Oberspreewald-Lausitz, Germany||120,000||Motor racing|
|Circuit de Valencia||120,000||Cheste, Spain||120,000||Motor racing|
|Silesian Stadium||120,000||Chorzów, Poland||47,246||Football, Motorcycle speedway|
|Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours||120,000||Magny-Cours, France||120,000||Motor racing|
|Hungaroring||120,000||Mogyoród, Hungary||120,000||Motor racing|
|Epsom Downs Racecourse||120,000||Epsom, England||10,875||Horse racing|
|62||Autódromo José Carlos Pace||119,000||São Paulo, Brazil||119,000||Motor racing|
|63||Ibrox Stadium||118,567||Glasgow, Scotland||50,947||Football|
|65||Circuit of the Americas||117,429||Austin, Texas, United States||120,000||Motor racing|
|66||Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum||115,300||Los Angeles, California, United States||92,000||American football and Baseball|
|67||Michigan Stadium||115,109||Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States||107,601||American football|
|68||Estadio Presidente Juan Domingo Perón||115,000||Buenos Aires, Argentina||51,389||Football|
|69||Stadium Australia||114,714||Sydney, Australia||84,000||Rugby League, Football, Rugby Union, Australian Rules football and Cricket|
|70||Salpausselkä||114,082||Lahti, Finland||80,000||Ski jumping|
|71||Richmond International Raceway||112,029||Richmond, Virginia, United States||112,029||Motor racing|
|72||Beaver Stadium||110,753||State College, Pennsylvania, United States||107,282||American football|
|73||Kyle Field||110,633||College Station, Texas, United States||102,512||American football|
|74||Berlin Olympic Stadium||110,000||Berlin, Germany||74,228||Football|
|80||Neyland Stadium||109,061||Knoxville, Tennessee, United States||100,011||American football|
|81||AT&T Stadium||101,763||Arlington, Texas, United States||80,000||Pro Wrestling|
|82||Ohio Stadium||108,610||Columbus, Ohio, United States||104,944||American football|
|83||Kentucky Speedway||107,000||Sparta, Kentucky, United States||107,000||Motor racing|
|84||Rose Bowl||106,869||Pasadena, California, United States||92,542||American football|
|85||Estádio Beira-Rio||106,554||Porto Alegre, Brazil||51,300||Football|
|86||New Hampshire Motor Speedway||105,491||Loudon, New Hampshire, United States||93,521||Motor racing|
|87||Stadium Puskás Ferenc||104,000||Budapest, Hungary||68,976||Football|
|Murrayfield Stadium||104,000||Edinburgh, Scotland||67,144||Rugby|
|89||Luzhniki Stadium||103,000||Moscow, Russia||84,745||Football|
|91||Odsal Stadium||102,569||Bradford, England||27,491||Rugby league|
|92||Sonoma Raceway||102,000||Sonoma, California, United States||102,000||Motor racing|
|Olimpiysky National Sports Complex||102,000||Kiev, Ukraine||83,450||Football|
|Stade 5 Juillet 1962||102,000||Algiers, Algeria||66,000||Football|
|Tiger Stadium||102,000||Baton Rouge, USA||102,000||American Football|
|96||Bryant–Denny Stadium||101,821||Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States||101,821||American football|
|97||Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium||102,315||Austin, Texas, United States||100,119||American football|
|98||Bung Karno Stadium||100,800||Jakarta, Indonesia||88,083||Football|
|99||Seoul Olympic Stadium||100,000||Seoul, South Korea||69,950||Football|
|Estadio Centenario||100,000||Montevideo, Uruguay||76,000||Football|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium||100,000||Delhi, India||78,000||Football|
|Ellis Park Stadium||100,000||Johannesburg, South Africa||62,567||Rugby and Football|
|Circuit Bugatti||100,000||Le Mans, France||100,000||Motor racing|
|TT Circuit Assen||100,000||Assen, Netherlands||100,000||Motor racing|
|Circuit Gilles Villeneuve||100,000||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||100,000||Motor racing|
|Hipódromo de San Isidro||100,000||San Isidro, Argentina||100,000||Horse racing|
|Hohe Warte Stadium||100,000||Vienna, Austria||4,600||Football, Rugby, American Football|
|Stade des Martyrs||100,000||Kinshasa, DR Congo||80,000||Football|
|Goodwood Circuit||100,000||Chichester, England||100,000||Motor racing|
Closed, proposed, and expanding venues
This list is for those venues that are currently closed, not in use, proposed, or are currently being expanded to 100,000 or more spectators.
|Rank||Venue name||Highest capacity||Location||Use|
|1||Deutsches Stadion||400,000||Nuremberg, Germany||Proposed, never opened|
|2||Strahov Stadium||240,000||Prague, Czech Republic||Football, never reached full capacity|
|3||Buddh International Circuit||200,000||Greater Noida, India||Motor racing (Current Capacity 120,000)|
|4||Ontario Motor Speedway||155,000||Ontario, California||Motor racing|
|5||Aintree Motor Racing Circuit||150,000||Aintree, England||Motor racing|
|6||Balatonring||140,000||Sávoly, Hungary||Motor racing (opening in TBD)|
|7||Estádio da Luz (1954)||135,000||Lisbon, Portugal||Football|
|8||Wembley Stadium (1923)||127,000||London, England||Football|
|9||Alabama Motorsports Park||125,000||Mobile, Alabama, United States||Motor racing (opening in 2012)|
|10||West Ham Stadium||120,000||London, England||Football, Greyhound racing, Speedway|
|11||Brookside Stadium||115,000||Cleveland||American football, Baseball|
|12||John F. Kennedy Stadium||102,000||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States||American football|
|13||Hippodrome of Constantinople||100,000||Istanbul, Turkey||Chariot and Horse racing|
|Kirov Stadium||100,000||Saint Petersburg, Russia||Football|
|Tower Athletic Grounds||100,000||New Brighton, England||Football|
|10th-Anniversary Stadium||100,000||Warsaw, Poland||Football|
|Zentralstadion (1956)||100,000||Leipzig, Germany||Football|
|Estádio Olímpico Monumental||100,000||Porto Alegre, Brazil||Football|
- List of African stadiums by capacity
- List of Asian stadiums by capacity
- List of European stadiums by capacity
- List of North American stadiums by capacity
- List of Oceanian stadiums by capacity
- List of South American stadiums by capacity
- List of stadiums by capacity
- Stadium Attendance of Association Football
- Some capacities include standing places
- "263 500 spectators to the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans !". 24h-lemans.com. 14 June 2015. Retrieved 2015-06-14.
- "Take a seat: Study puts Indy's capacity at 257,325". USA Today. 27 May 2004. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Mexico City crowd tops 400,000.". Crash NET. 17 October 2003. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- Organising Committee for the VI Winter Olympic Games (1952). Olympic Winter Games Oslo 1952 (pdf). Oslo, Norway. p. 54. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Chavez-Haugen attendance record shattered?". Fight News. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- Ford, Liam T.A. (October 2009). Soldier Field: A Stadium and Its City (1st ed.). Chicago: University Of Chicago Press.
- Hirsley, Michael (January 15, 1996). "If Bears Go, So May Soldier Field". Chicago Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Bartlet, Charles (November 30, 1937). "C.Y.O. to Honor Prep Stars at Stadium Bouts". Chicago Daily Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune.
- Segreti, James (December 12, 1937). "De Correvont Injured after Score; Austin Triumphs 13-0". Chicago Daily Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune.
- "Austin Star Hurt as Team Wins 13-0". New York Times. New York City: Associated Press. December 12, 1937.
- "Famed Chicago Prep Visits Southland". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles. January 1, 1938.
- "Chicago Preps Down Arizona Stars 9-6". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles: Associated Press. January 2, 1938.
- Burns, Edward (November 28, 1937). "Austin High Conquers Leo 26 to 0 Before Record Crowd". Chicago Daily Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune.
- "120,000 Thrilled by Boy Wonder in Chicago School Gridiron Final". New York Times (Special Edition). New York. November 28, 1937.
- Shnay, Jerry (November 27, 1987). "50 Years and 120,000 Fans Ago". Chicago Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune.
- "Seat Sales for Title Prep Game Exceed $80,000". Chicago Daily Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune. November 15, 1937.
- Condon, David (May 28, 1966). "In the Wake of the News". Chicago Tribune. Chicago: Chicago Tribune.
- "Austin All Set to Bring Foot Ball Title Here". Garfieldian. Garfield Park, Chicago. November 25, 1937.
- Dunkley, Charles (November 15, 1937). "High School Grid Star Amazes Fans". Reno Evening Gazette. Reno: Associated Press.
- "Past Prep Bowls". http://prepbowl.tripod.com. Retrieved July 23, 2014. External link in
- IHSA General Football Records; accessed 9 April 2009
- "No. 14 A&M Downed by No. 3 Ole Miss". Texas A&M Athletics. October 11, 2014. Retrieved October 15, 2014.