List of Vietnamese political parties
This article lists political parties in Vietnam.
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Vietnam is a communist single-party state. This means that only one political party, the Communist Party of Vietnam (Đảng Cộng Sản Việt Nam) is legally allowed to hold effective power. Vietnamese elections conform to the popular front principle used in communist countries. The united front in Vietnam is called the Vietnamese Fatherland Front and is led by the Communist Party of Vietnam.
Only the Communist Party of Vietnam is legal to operate in Vietnam, other parties exist outside Vietnam or secretly operate inside Vietnam :
- People's Action Party of Vietnam (PAP) (Đảng Nhân Dân Hành Động) (outside Vietnam)
- Democratic Party of Vietnam (Đảng Dân Chủ Việt Nam) (disbanded in 1988)
- Viet Tan Vietnam Reform Party (Việt Nam Canh Tân Cách Mạng Đảng) (outside Vietnam, prohibited in Vietnam)
- Bloc 8406 (prohibited in Vietnam)
Many members of these parties have been jailed in Vietnam under the charge of "attempt to overthrow the government". Political rights are very limited in Vietnam, especially right to change the government.
- Länder der Erde. Politisch-ökonomisches Handbuch. Berlin [Ost], 1971.