List of political parties in Iceland
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
This article is a list of political parties in Iceland. Iceland has a multi-party system with many political parties, in which often no one party has a chance of gaining power alone, and parties must work with each other to form coalition governments.
Parties in the parliamentary elections of 27 April 2013
The law automatically grants the right for the parties having participated in the previous election to continue using the same list letter. The Ministry of Interior announced, that in order for any party to participate in the 2013 election, an application for a specific list letter should be submitted no later than 9 April, while new parties were also required to deliver minimum 300 electorate signatories expressing support for their participation, within each constituency it intended to run. The final approval was conditional, that the party in each constituency also submitted a valid candidate list comprising twice as many candidates compared to the total number of seats in the constituency, at the latest on 12 April. An official list of 15 approved parties (incl. all their specific candidate lists), was published by the National Election Committee (Icelandic: Landskjörstjórn) on 16 April. In total 72 candidate lists were approved, as 11 parties had chosen to run in all six constituencies, while two parties (Humanist Party and People's Front of Iceland) chose only to run in two constituencies, and the final two parties (Rural Party and Sturla Jónsson) were only present in one constituency. The table below is a summarized list of all parties which the National Electoral Commission has approved for participation in the 2013 elections.
|English name||Icelandic name||List||Website|
|Bright Future||Björt framtíð||A|
|Right-Green Movement||Hægri Grænir||G|
| Humanist Party|
(related to International Humanist Party)
| Rural Party|
(New party founded 23 February 2013)
|People's Front of Iceland||Alþýðufylkingin||R|
|Social Democratic Alliance||Samfylkingin — jafnaðarmannaflokkur Íslands||S|
|Left-Green Movement||Vinstrihreyfingin — grænt framboð||V|
With parliamentary representation from October 2016
Seven parties were elected at the October 2016 election. The box below shows the distribution of seats in the incumbent parliament.
| Social Democratic Alliance
|S||Social democracy, Pro-Europeanism, Feminism||Centre-left||Oddný G. Harðardóttir|| 3|
| Independence Party
|D||Capitalism, Liberal conservatism, Classical liberalism, Euroscepticism||Centre-right||Bjarni Benediktsson|| 21|
| Left-Green Movement
Vinstrihreyfingin - grænt framboð
|V||Democratic socialism, Eco-socialism, Euroscepticism, Feminism||Left-Wing||Katrín Jakobsdóttir|| 10|
| Progressive Party
|B||Liberalism, Nordic agrarianism, Euroscepticism||Centre-right||Sigurður Ingi Jóhannsson|| 8|
| Bright Future
|A||Social liberalism, Green liberalism, Pro-Europeanism||Centre to Centre-left||Óttarr Proppé|| 4|
| Pirate Party
|P||Pirate politics||N/A||Birgitta Jónsdóttir||10|
|C||Pro-Europeanism, Green Politics, Centrism||Centre to Centre-right||Benedikt Jóhannesson||7|
Active parties, without representation in the Althing
|English name||Icelandic name||List||Website|
|Icelandic National Front||Íslenska þjóðfylkingin|
| Liberal Democrats|
(It will most likely not run in the election)
|Christian Political Movement||Kristin stjórnmálasamtök|
- Citizens' Movement (Borgarahreyfingin)
- Citizen's Party (Borgaraflokkurinn)
- Communist Party (Kommúnistaflokkurinn)
- Communist Party (Marxist–Leninist) (Kommúnistaflokkurinn (m-l))
- Democracy Movement (Lýðræðishreyfingin)
- Home Rule Party (Heimastjórnarflokkurinn)
- Icelandic Movement – Living Land (Íslandshreyfingin – lifandi land)
- National Awakening (Þjóðvaki)
- Nationalist Party (Flokkur Þjóðernissinna)
- National Preservation Party (Þjóðvarnarflokkurinn)
- New Force (Nýtt afl)
- Old Independence Party (Sjálfstæðisflokkurinn eldri)
- People's Alliance (Alþýðubandalagið)
- People's Unity Party – Socialist Party (Sameiningarflokkur alþýðu - Sósíalistaflokkurinn)
- Social Democratic Party (Alþýðuflokkurinn)
- The Movement (Hreyfingin)
- Union of Liberals and Leftists (Samtök frjálslyndra og vinstri manna)
- Women's List (Kvennalistinn)
- "Announcements: Notice of lists that will participate in the parliamentary election on 27 April 2013" (in Icelandic). Landskjörstjórn (The National Electoral Commission). 16 April 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Announcement by the National Electoral Commission about available political parties in the parliamentary elections 27 April 2013" (PDF) (in Icelandic). Landskjörstjórn (The National Electoral Commission). 16 April 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- The Reykjavík Grapevine's Election Guide 2013 (scanned version) (Html version)
- "Website publishing candidate lists and election news for the parties participating in the 2013 parliamentary election".
- "Viðreisn". Viðreisn. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "Will establish a Rural Party" (in Icelandic). Mbl.is. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Rural Party founded today" (in Icelandic). Mbl.is. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Forsíða - Píratar". Píratar (in Icelandic). Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "Icelandic parliamentary election - 2016". icelandmonitor.mbl.is. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "The Christian's Political Party has been founded" (in Icelandic). Christian Political Movement (blog). 9 March 2007. Retrieved 17 February 2013.