List of political parties in Argentina
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
This article lists political parties in Argentina.
Since the 1990s, there is a strong decentralizing tendency within the national parties, along with the growing national relevance of province-level parties and alliances. In the last decade, most of the newly formed parties remained as junior partners of the main alliances or as district-level relevant political forces.
From the "national organisation" process (1862–80) up to 1916, the oligarchic National Autonomist Party directed Argentine politics, before being replaced, through the first secret ballot elections, by the Radical Civic Union. The "Infamous Decade" (1930–43), initiated by the first modern coup d'état in Argentina, represented a return of the conservatives, who implemented a so-called "patriotic fraud" electoral practice. Since 1946, the strongest party has been the Justicialist Party, emerging around the leadership of Juan Perón (when not banned, justicialists lost only three presidential elections, in 1983, 1999 and 2015). From 1946 to 2001, the second most important party was the Radical Civic Union, until the 2001 collapse. From then on, left-wing Justicialists Néstor Kirchner and his wife Cristina Fernández de Kirchner won the 2003, 2007 and 2011 general elections. After that, in the 2015 general election, Kirchnerism was defeated by a centre-right coalition, Cambiemos, composed of the Radical Civic Union and Republican Proposal, a new liberal conservative party.
Major parties and alliances (as of 2015)
- Justicialist Party (Partido Justicialista, PJ), the main Peronist Party, that holds two opposing factions:
- Cambiemos ("Let's change") alliance, center-right:
- Progressives ("Progresistas") alliance, center-left:
Minor national parties (as of 2015)
- Neuquén People's Movement (Movimiento Popular Neuquino, MPN), a provincial Peronist party, holds the governorship of Neuquén and banks in both Chambers of Congress.
- Fueguino People's Movement (Movimiento Popular Fueguino, MPF), a provincial Peronist party, has banks in both Chambers of Congress.
- Civic Front of Santiago (Frente Cívico por Santiago, FCS), a provincial Kirchnerist party, holds the governorship of Santiago and banks in both Chambers of Congress.
- Patagonic Social Party (Partido Social Patagónico, FCS), a provincial centre-left party, holds the governorship of Tierra del Fuego.
- Workers' Left Front (Frente de Izquierda y de los Trabajadores, FIT), a national leftist party, has seats in the Chamber of Deputies.
- Communist Party of Argentina (Partido Comunista de la Argentina, PCA), a left-wing Marxist–Leninist party.
- Christian Democratic Party (Partido Demócrata Cristiano, PDC) a Christian Democrat political party in Argentina.
- Plural Consensus (Concertación Plural)
- Civic and Social Agreement (Acuerdo Cívico y Social, ACyS)
- Union PRO (Buenos Aires Province)
- Justicialist Front (Frente Justicialista)
- Federal Santa Fe (Santa Fe Federal, Santa Fe Province)
- Federal Civic Front (Frente Cívico Federal, Mendoza Province)
- Federal Consensus (Consenso Federal, ConFe)
- Front of the Popular Movement (Frente del Movimiento Popular, UP)
- Alliance Union of Cordoba (Alianza Unión de Córdoba, Córdoba Province)
- Alliance New Front (Alianza Frente Nuevo, Córdoba Province)
- Justicialist Front of Entre Ríos (Frente Justicialista de Entre Ríos, Entre Ríos Province)
- Front for Integration (Chubut) (Frente para la Integración, Chubut Province)
- Front of Jujuy (Frente Jujeño, Jujuy Province)
- Concertation for Development (Río Negro) (Concertación para el Desarrollo, Río Negro Province)
- Change for Growth (Santa Cruz) (Cambio para el Crecimiento, Santa Cruz Province)
- Salta Federal Front (Frente Salta Federal, Salta Province)
- We are all Salta (Todos Somos Salta, Salta Province)
- Front It Is Possible (Frente Es Posible)
- Democratic Party PRO (Mendoza) (Partido Demócrata PRO, Mendoza Province)
- Pueblo Nuevo (La Pampa) (Pueblo Nuevo, La Pampa Province)
- Anticapitalist and Socialist Front of the Left and the People (Frente Anticapitalista y Socialista de la Izquierda y el Pueblo)
- Party of Labour and of the People (Partido del Trabajo y del Pueblo)
Defunct parties and alliances
- 19th Century and early 20th Century
- Unitarian Party (Partido Unitario)
- Federal Party (Partido Federal)
- National Autonomist Party (Partido Autonomista Nacional, PAN)
- Civic Union of the Youth (Unión Cívica de la Juventud, UCJ)
- Civic Union (Unión Cívica)
- National Civic Union (Unión Cívica Nacional, UCN)
- National Autonomist Party (Modernist) (Partido Autonomista Nacional, línea modernista)
- Lencinism (Mendoza) (Lencinismo)
- Antipersonalist Radical Civic Union (Unión Cívica Radical Antipersonalista, UCR-A)
- Rightist Confederation (Confederación Derechista)
- Independent Socialist Party (Partido Socialista Independiente, PSI)
- National Democratic Party (Partido Democrático Nacional, PDN)
- Mid 20th Century
- Democratic Union (Unión Democrática, UD)
- Radical Civic Union (Junta Renovadora) (Unión Cívica Radical, Junta Renovadora)
- Labour Party (Partido Laborista, PL)
- Peronist Party (Partido Peronista, PP)
- Female Peronist Party (Partido Peronista Femenino)
- Intransigent Radical Civic Union (Unión Cívica Radical Intransigente, UCRI)
- Radical Civic Union of the People (Unión Cívica Radical del Pueblo, UCRP)
- Democratic Socialist Party (Partido Democrático Socialista, PSD)
- Socialist Party of Argentina (Partido Socialista de Argentina, PSA)
- Revolutionary and Popular Indoamericano Front (Frente Revolucionario Indoamericano Popular, FRIP'
- Union of the Argentine People (Unión del Pueblo Argentino, UDELPA)
- Argentine Socialist Vanguard Party (Partido Socialista Argentino de Vanguardia, PSAV)
- Socialist Party of the National Left (Partido Socialista de la Izquierda Nacional, PSIN)
- Popular Socialist Party (Partido Socialista Popular, PSP)
- Worker's Socialist Party (Partido Socialista de los Trabajadores, PST)
- Federalist Popular Alliance (Alianza Popular Federalista, APF)
- Revolutionary Popular Alliance (Alianza Popular Revolucionaria, APR)
- Justicialist Front for National Liberation (Frente Justicialista de Liberación Nacional, FREJULI)
- Late 20th Century and early 21st Century
- Federalist Popular Force (Fuerza Federalista Popular, FuFePo)
- Autonomist-Liberal Pact (Pacto Autonomista-Liberal, Corrientes Province)
- Alliance for Work, Justice and Education (Alianza por el Trabajo, la Justicia y la Educación, ALIANZA)
- Front for a Country in Solidarity (Frente para un País Solidario, Frepaso)
- Argentines for a Republic of Equals (Argentinos por una República de Iguales, ARI)
- United Left (Izquierda Unida, IU)
- Front for Change (Frente para el Cambio)
- Broad Encounter (Encuentro Amplio)
- An Advanced Nation (UNA) (una Nación Avanzada, UNA)